Yachtwin 3hp cracked “tophat” plastic piece in propeller

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m swapping all the “guts” out of my old bent and broken prop onto a new one. The little black plastic tophat piece has a chunk missing... is this a problem. Also do I have to grease the rubber insert that goes inside the prop?? Thanks in advance

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The part centers and locates the prop on the hub. If it isn't too badly broken and does what it is supposed to do, I suppose it will be OK. Do not grease the rubber ring, but do make sure is isn't rock hard. It's function is to "give" upon impact with a submerged object instead of shearing the drive pin. It will actually hop over a notch on the hub upon hard impact. Grease may make it hop too easily.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
The part centers and locates the prop on the hub. If it isn't too badly broken and does what it is supposed to do, I suppose it will be OK. Do not grease the rubber ring, but do make sure is isn't rock hard. It's function is to "give" upon impact with a submerged object instead of shearing the drive pin. It will actually hop over a notch on the hub upon hard impact. Grease may make it hop too easily.

Thank you very much sir, you sure know your stuff!! Should I lightly grease the actual prop shaft of the motor?