yacht club questions

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
You belong to a yacht club? Tell me more about it if you could. Dues, major rules, facilities, bar, visitors - you get the idea. I'm looking to join one and just want to get some ideas from others.

Thank you !!

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: yacht club questions

We don't, but we have friends that are members. Other than getting into the private restaurant, I'm not sure there are any other benefits.

Their membership does however, allow them to have nonmembers as dinner guests.

mattttt25

Commander

my father in law and all his buddies are members. but it's more about just having a slip. they all pay approx $4-5K for their slips and something like $125 a month for dues. Docks are kept very nice and have everything you need. They also have a restaurant, pool, and bathing facilities. It's really just a huge marina for big boats.

PW2

Commander

Depends on the YC, and what you like to do. If you're into sailing and racing, many of them have regular organized races, and even sailing instruction in small boats and the like. For example, The Port Angeles YC had Friday nite races in the summer, and Sunday races the rest of the year

Many of them have moorage associated with them.

Many are just socializing clubs for similar interests.

If they offer what you are interested in, join.

18rabbit

Captain

I suggest starting with your local chapter of the US Power Squadron. They are education and event oriented, often piggyback off of existing local YCs, so you may have unrestricted use of the local YCs amenities, docks, etc. Then from the inside of the USPS you can evaluate the local YC and the USPS and see if you want to join a diff club or stick with USPS or maybe go it alone.