Y pipe O Ring sealant(help asap)

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
Putting back together it where it connects to the back of the gimbal assembly inside the bilge (350 5.7) and I dont want it to leak here what type of sealant should I use to hold that little thin rubber gasket in place .. black permantex? I was going to use 3m5200 but I dont know about the heat coming thru the y pipe,,,help asap please!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Y pipe O Ring sealant(help asap)

Howdy,

I think I used a little silicone type sealant. It doesn't get very hot since there's a fair amount of water running through there all the time. (toast your raw water pump and all bets are off)

Cheers,

Rick

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have a raw water pump and the manual says use 3m scotchgrip,,, but doesnt say what type 1300, 857 etc Im really trying to get the motor set today but this is holding me back no one sells 3m around here so i wanted to use like black permatex... anyone else have any thoughts on what else I can use?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't hesitate to use any good gasket sealant on a gasket.......If it's an O-ring in a slot (this is a Cobra?) it would probably not leak even if it was installed "dry"....I don't have my service manual anymore but I don't remember if it was an o-ring/slot or a flat gasket.

(Mercruiser uses an o-ring in a slot and it's installed without sealant too....I think I still used a little silicone seal though)

At http://epc.brp.com/ it appears to be an o-ring. (you do have a new one?)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use some adhesive like Merc bellows adhesive (because I always have some on hand) to hold the sealing ring in the groove. Then use some gasket sealer like Permatex aviation sealer to coat the complete surface. The oring is what does the sealing, the sealer just prevents corrosion better than bare surfaces.
Sillycone should NEVER be used below the water line. It just doesn't last very long, especially under water.