XR6 ALarms

suzuki115

Seaman
Hello all. Been having an issue with a 2001 XR6 Merc 150 HP. Brand new controls with new 2006 boat.<br /><br />Chirping sound (alarm) has been intermitent and driving me nuts. Chirping may go intermitently from barely audible to constant and very audible (as if overheat alarm)unless I do the following: Nothing; slow down; speed up; hit the TT switch.<br /><br />I have checked/done the following:<br />disconnected heat sensors, no change; complete water pump replacement; new thermostats and complete flush (I appear to have good flow and pressure, although not verified).<br /><br />Are there other alarms I do not know about??<br />Could this have anything to do with the Popit Valve?

glen357

Cadet
Re: XR6 ALarms

Suzuki,<br />Its probably the gear that drives the oil pump! Donot operate until you find out why. If its beep beep beep beep beep its oil, if its beeeeeeeeeeeeep and does not go off its in the overheat circuit. <br />I just disconeted the oil injector and mix oil and gas on mine. $3. gear $200 to change. Hope this helps. G

suzuki115

Seaman

Thanks for the quick reply. Forgot to mention that I previously disconnected oil injection sytem and alarms. So I know it has nothing to do with oil.<br /><br />Any other ideas?

suzuki115

Seaman

I can eliminate the "chirp" or "chirping" (temporarily) by hitting the tilt/trim switch on the controls.<br />Can the chirping have something to do with the tilt/trim sensor or sensor wiring?

KCLOST

Commander

Check both the temperature guage leaving the temp sensor and the overheat switch wire leaving the switch. If either one of those are worn and possibly grounding out to the block, it will cause the alarm to sound...

suzuki115

Seaman

Can this occur even after I have disconnected both of the temperature sensors from the wiring harness?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by suzuki115:<br /> Can this occur even after I have disconnected both of the temperature sensors from the wiring harness?
Nope, if they are not connected to the warning horn then the circuit can not be closed.<br /><br /><br />Since you said that if you trim up/down the noise goes away, I would check the trim up/down solenoids. Mabye they are consistently getting a little power, maybe not enough to trim one way or the other but enough to give you a bit of a humm.

KCLOST

Commander

If the loose wire(s) is still there yes it can, If you removed both wires no it won't.. I should have been more clear about the wire, the overheat switch wire goes from the switch to the terminal block. If something is creating a ground from the terminal block to the engine, the alarm will sound. So look for a loose wire that could still be connected at the terminal block. <br /><br />The terminal block has a lead that goes from it to the horn. The horn lead wire, if gounded, will also cause it to sound off.<br /><br />I'm wondering if trimming up or down is enough to possibly stop a short somewhere...

suzuki115

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. I will check these items out to see if it solves my issue.

KCLOST

Commander

Check all the wires that leave the terminal block and also the wires that go to the alarm module and the wires that "went to the oil pump". Also the wires that go to the cap on the motor oil tank (they should all be disconnected from the alarm module) Any wire that may be shorted and in turn gounds out the terminal block can cause your problem. I'm not sure if grounding out the oil pump sensor leads will cause this but it is worth a shot, as they do go to the alarm module, and there is a wire that goes from the alarm module to the terminal block. That wire is also worth checking just as much as the wire going to the horn.

Boo

Seaman Apprentice

suzuki115, <br /> Had similar problem with my 86 XR2 found a broke wire among a gob of wires by the module next to the starter, so like KC says keep looking and good luck!<br /><br />p.s. the wire was tan

suzuki115

Seaman

Great info guys, thank you. I will be doing some wire tracing/inspection this weekend.

suzuki115

Seaman

Found the problem. It was a loose ground connection. Checked bolt tightness at least 5 times. Happen to hit the cable and it moved. Bolt was cross threaded and tight but not tight against the cable. <br />Tightened down properly and alarm issue disapeared.<br /><br />Thanks for your help guys.