x

Trent

Captain
Re: x

Sorry people but this is where I step IN!! This is bull!! You start doing this kind of stuff and its just around the corner when they get your outboard too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the information that is posted and its just what they want you to hear! No BOAT or PWC will STEER without ANY POWER with REAL good Results!!<br /><br />THis is ALL EPA JUNK.......Next they want your Weedeater and lawnmower too!<br /><br />The problem is that PWC have gotten a bad name from a FEW people! Not all of them. DONT LET the FEW rule THE MASSES of people! <br /><br />You start ruling agaist the few; Next will be the Bassboats, Fishing boats and the rest of the boats.....!!!!!!! Sorry I had to vent! But watch out for these people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Sorry Mr. I-Boat but notice it was this persons FIRST reply!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay, I enjoy free speech but... here is my challange to Mr/Mrs/Ms Idoyle. The following is a line extracted from the petition and I want Idoyle to teach ALL of us about the following statement<br /><br /> "Unlike traditional boats, PWCs have no braking mechanism" yup, direct from the petition. SHOW ME THE BRAKE on a traditional boat! :rolleyes: <br /><br />So my boat must be untraditional and is also a hazard because I don't have brakes. :( <br /><br />JB, Trent, Crab Bait, Dhadly, Frank HELP!!! I CAN'T FIND THE BRAKES ON MY BOAT :eek: How exactly would I word the request? "HELP-WITH BOAT BRAKE? or HELP-CAN"T FIND BOAT BRAKE PEDAL"<br /><br />Exercising free speech and my rights to decide <br />I think anyone that believes those lines of bogus information need serious help. Dam I wish I could stop laughing :D <br /><br />Maybe I should prepare a petition to "BAN ALL OFF-SHORE TUNA FISHING IN VERMONT" :p <br /><br />Bob :cool:

Trent

Captain

UHH...Can we ban Offshore Tuna Fishing? Next will be inshore ban on Bream fishing! :p

ebbtide176

Commander

i didn't ck the link, but i suppose its pretty much just another activists' group. THAT'S BAD!!!<br />i used to ignore any/all news and/or sideline comments. then as i got older i realized it was how so many amendments were created. jeez what a predicament- i'm thinking ' don't the ones in charge just do whats right?' i found out the answer is no. ok, i'm still not reading the link, (only humorous links interest me) but i will say that i'm for giving boaters the ok, and pwc the chokecollar... <br />- alright! i'll ck it out...(be right back)<br />hmmmm - looks like somebody is out for a lynchin of the PWC's in MA. i feel ok with that. if it spreads like a rampant disease into all of the SE USA, then i'll keep tabs on it. if it leads to repercussions in the rules of boats, then i'll worry. for now, i'm content with boating and wishing PWC's were never invented... so far guns(in general) haven't been outlawed, but they're working on pistols(under serious scrutiny) so maybe the PWC's will fit under the same scenario...<br />i mean, how do you enforce a restriction without hurting someone? if it comes to boats in general, then i'll be screamin out loud. i don't think this a general freedom issue, i think it's a p.o'd boater's world against waterfleas.<br />but i'm no expert on anything, especially politics, so i can say its IMHO

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

To: Massachusetts state reps & senators <br /><br />This petition is to let Massachusetts legislators know that we support House Bill 5019, which would give towns the right to decide for themselves whether to ban polluting personal watercrafts (otherwise known as jet skis) from their own waterways. Currently, the director of the environmental police is the sole person who can decide whether a town has the right to keep these hazardous crafts off their waterways. Towns know their own waterways best, and in most cases are tasked with law enforcement on waters within their town so they should have the right to make this decision themselves. <br /><br />The facts: <br /><br />-The personal watercraft industry has recalled more than 280,000 watercrafts during the past 10 years because of production and design problems with the potential to cause fires and explosions. Problems in tens of thousands of these machines have not been repaired. <br /><br />Item 1:<br />I always thought there were a whole lot more automobiles that had been recalled for reasons as bad or worse than this and I'm sure there are plenty of them still on the road that have have never had repairs made. Hmmmmmmmm, looks like we will have to get a petition for this too.<br /><br />-The Massachusetts Environmental Police has received free loaner personal watercrafts (PWCs) from local watercraft manufacturers. This is a clear conflict of interest.<br /><br />Item 2:<br />So what, Good for them. I wish someone would give me one <br /><br />-The federal government recently determined that PWCs are different from other motorboats and additionally reported that there was substantial evidence proving the damage they cause to air and water quality, visitor enjoyment, public safety, and wildlife. <br /><br />Item 3:<br />Crap, Here we go back to planes, trains and things. Gonna take a heck of a petition for this one.<br /><br />-The National Transportation Safety Board criticized the design of PWCs and recommended that manufacturers implement design changes, such as off-throttle steering and braking. <br /><br />-While operator education helps reduce accidents, the real safety problems are inherent in the craft and their designated use. PWC operator manuals instruct users to allow at least 348 feet -- longer than a football field -- to allow the craft to come to a safe, complete stop. This endangers others on the water. In addition, they have no brakes or off-throttle steering. If you're in their path, and the rider instinctively releases the throttle, the vehicle will not be able to avoid a collision. <br /><br />Item 3:<br /><br />Yup, science has proven it to be true. For every action there has to be an equal opposed reaction. Again a automobile going 60 mph can't stop on a dime either. (here we go again) By the way, don't they have steering on these things.<br /><br />-A 2001 study funded by the U.S. Coast Guard tested a range of PWCs in their ability to avoid an obstacle. The vehicles were operated by an equal number of novice, intermediate, and expert PWC users, with the following findings: <br /><br />At 20 MPH, they were unable to avoid the obstacle 21% of the time <br />At 30 MPH, they were unable to avoid the obstacle 51% of the time <br />At 55 MHP, they were unable to avoid the obstacle 86% of the time <br />At 60 MPH, they were unable to avoid the obstacle 100% of the time <br /><br />Item 4:<br /><br />I wonder if the guys preforming the test were the guys that said just before they got on, (HERE HOLD MY SIGN),<br />Hmmmmm, they didn't mention what distance they had to be able to miss whatever object they were aiming at did they. I've never ridden one of these things but I see a lot of em. And it looks like they could out maneuver anything I've ever owned.<br /><br />-More than 70 percent of PWC accidents are collisions with other vessels. <br /><br />Item 5:<br /><br />What the heck else are you gonna hit out on an open lake, shucks.<br /><br />-Unlike traditional boats, PWCs have no braking mechanism, endangering others on small ponds, lakes, and estuaries. <br /><br />Item 5: <br /><br />I'd like to know what idiot thinks someone will try to ride one of these on a small pond and if they do who else will be there.<br />and the brakes are a lot better than an airplane in the air. Heck, we gotta band airplanes now. There will be no fly zones over every town in Ma now.<br /><br />-The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has confirmed that a single personal watercraft can dump up to 6 gallons of raw fuel into the water in a mere two hours.<br /><br />Item 6: <br /><br />I work on an offshore oil and gas production platform. We produce more than 30,000 barrels of oil per day from this platform alone. These people ain't seen nothing have they. If the chance of spilling a mere 6 gallons of fuel worries them then I guess I'm in big trouble too.<br />Don't get me wrong on this one guys. We don't pollute. We are under strict guidlines and have safety systems that makes Star Trek look ancient. But there is always the possibility of a BFK.<br /> <br /><br />-Manufacturers' claims that direct-injection engines will resolve pollution problems is erroneous. According to the California Environmental Protection Agency, emissions from direct-injection two-stroke engines are still four times higher than four-stroke engines with the same horsepower. <br /><br />Item 7 & 8: <br /><br />Get a life will ya. Tell em what. We will shut down a dozen 18 wheelers. That will probably make up the difference for all the jet skies in the country.<br /><br />-Personal watercraft emit significantly more pollution than equivalent motorboats. The National Marine Maufacturers Association admitted that since PWCs have small engines and operate at higher speeds -- and generally are operated at closer to full throttle -- this results in higher emissions than equivalent motorboats. <br /><br />-Personal watercrafts emit 85 to 105 decibels of sound per unit -- more noise than any motorboat in any speed category. The American Hospital Association recommends hearing protection above 85 decibels.<br /><br />Item 9:<br /><br />85 is all. darn that's not bad. I wish my chain saws and lawn mowers were that low but hey, they do still make hearing protection (for those of us who choose of their own free will to use it)<br /><br />-Personal watercrafts can and often do ride into shallow, remote areas close to shore, wreaking havoc on swimmers and surrounding wildlife. This past summer, a swimmer at Mashpee-Wakeby Pond was critically injured when she was struck by a personal watercraft that was reportedly riding too close to shore.<br /><br />Item 10:<br /><br />I hate to hear of anyone getting run over but it is a great tactic for BS like this. <br />But here we go once more. Trains, planes & things. We got another reason to ban em. Lots more folks get ran over by them than do jet skies. <br /><br />-Some have suggested that more stringent safety rules, such as higher age limits for users, would prevent future injuries. However, U.S. Coast Guard statistics indicate that the largest number of injuries are of people 23 to 29 years old, so raising the age of users will not make the problem go away.<br /><br />Item 11:<br /><br />Maybe they ought to bump the Min age up to 62. That ought to help.<br /> Who do they think they are kidding anyway. <br /><br />Sincerely, <br /><br />The Undersigned <br /><br />You know, This looks real familiar. It seems like the same thing I've been dealing with about firearms for the past many years.<br /><br />Really, I believe that the people that come up with a lot of this stuff really just don't have much to do. Their IQ is probably not that high either. I also believe most of them were raised on concrete and never have been off of if it you get my drift.

ebbtide176

Commander

you have good points... great points. and i would debate this, and have several items to interject. but this is not a debate forum. or at least i don't think so.<br />---<br />alright i give in. i like your other posts and hopefully you like mine. so i'll cheerfully post the 'other' opinion;<br />emissions, speed, manuverability -superb<br />noise - (friggin loud) i do have a problem with noise levels. harleys sell with baffles in 'em.<br />brakes - n/a (same as boats) reverse is available.<br /><br />70% hitting other 'water vehicles' - you're ****ed<br /><br />(too quick for rider's reaction) - would be my main problem withem.<br /><br />in other words, if they were sold/governed to do @ 20mph and had superquiet engines, and were used for 'cruising/nature watching' i think they would be affectionately appreciated by all...<br />*just a thought*

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Ebbtide,<br />I guess I should have taken it easier on em. I wasn't really trying to debate. I just sorta thought the petition was silly and I was needing to ventilate on something at the time. I get aggravated With jet skies sometimes too but you do have to draw a line somewhere. I believe the most problems with these things is kids riding them. But of course whatever you put kids on whether it's jet skis, ATVs, cars, go carts, motor cycles and a number of other things can be just as big of a problem. It usually boils down to a lack of proper supervision.<br />By the way, I like your post too and thanks.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having been an owner of both PWC and a boat for many years, i can tell you there is NO problem with either of them. It is all about the riders. How many full grown adults do you see causing havoc and being a complete jerk? Not too many...i suspect. All immature kids reaking the havoc. Can someone tell me why you do not need a license to drive a vehical on the water??? You can hop on one and go with no training at all...legally!! It is absurd that if your drivers license expires by one day in my state, you need to take another road test and a written test!!! But, if you want to buy a PWC that does 75mph, is very difficult to handle in less than perfect conditions, be in an invironment that promotes drinking, and go as fast as mechanically possible....you can legally!!!!