X versus Y

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I saw this in our local paper this morning...<br /><br />Guys, there's a bit of technical jargon in there...but to me it looks like we've been taking a hammering from the fairer sex for the last 300 million years or so...<br /><br /> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10115838 <br /><br />
<br />Women win as Y loses out in battle of the Xs <br /> <br />18.03.05<br /> <br />LONDON - Genetic differences between men and women are more extensive and profound than previously believed, according to a study that unravels the complex chemistry of the sexes. <br /><br />A detailed analysis of the "X" chromosome - the female sex chromosome - has revealed that women are genetically more complicated than men :rolleyes: . The findings reveal that men have taken a genetic battering that has diminished the size of their own "Y" sex chromosome. :eek: <br /><br />The battle of the sexes has its roots in a 300-million-year struggle between the X and the Y chromosomes which have vied with each other for influence over successive generations of males and females. <br /><br />Scientists have now shown that it has been the X chromosome that has retained its physical integrity while the Y chromosome of men has dwindled in size and power to become a mere shadow of its former self. :eek: <br /><br />The first comprehensive survey of the genes that are active on the X chromosome has revealed the dominant position that the female sex chromosome has gained in the long war of attrition with its male counterpart. One consequence is that boys are more prone to genetic diseases than girls. <br /><br />While the Y chromosome has retained fewer than 100 working genes, the X chromosome contains more than 1000 and is able to deploy them in a more intricate way in women. This has resulted in the female genome becoming very different to that of men, the scientists say. <br /><br />While women have two X chromosomes, men only have one. <br /><br />Professor Huntington Willard of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, one of the leaders of the study published in Nature, said the findings showed that when the X chromosome occurred in women it behaved so differently to when it resided in men that it had effectively resulted in the evolution of another human genome. <br /><br />- INDEPENDENT <br /><br /><br />
:D

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer
Re: X versus Y

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br /> While the Y chromosome has retained fewer than 100 working genes, the X chromosome contains more than 1000 and is able to deploy them in a more intricate way in women. This has resulted in the female genome becoming very different to that of men, the scientists say.
This little tidbit of information shouldn't be a surprise. I don't think anybody ever had any doubt that women were more complicated than men. :D

SoulWinner

Commander

A guy walking on the beach finds an ancient brass lamp. He begins to clean the lamp to get a better look at it and a genie pops out. The genie thanks the man for freeing him from long imprisonment in the lamp and offers the man one precious wish. The man thinks and thinks and finally explains to the genie that he has always wanted to visit the Hawaiian Islands, but he is paralyzed by fear at the thought of flying or going by ship, so he asks the genie to build a bridge from California to Hawaii.<br /><br />The genie says "look pal, I know I promised you any wish, but do you have ANY idea what that would take? The engineering and logistics, and the millions of tons of steel and concrete. Won't you please give it some more thought and see if there is anything else I can grant you? Money, cars, houses, anything but a bridge to Hawaii."<br /><br />The man thinks and thinks and finally says "Alright, I've reconsidered. I have never been a ladies man. I want complete and total understanding of women."<br /><br />To which the genie replies "you want that bridge two lanes or four?"

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

A little snippet from a humorous book I'm reading titled The Bluffer's Guide to Women <br /><br />When discussing the complexity of women:<br /><br />" The fact is that both sexes rather like to perpetuate this belief. Women enjoy the feeling of being all-knowing but unknowable: it gives them a rare edge. Men like to absolve themselves of the need to work it out - without the sense of personal failure. If no man can understand women, it's not his fault if he doesn't.<br /> It may be heartening to know immediately that there are a great many things about women that even women don't understand. When discussing women, therefore, it is useful to assume that no-one has the faintest idea of when they are talking about"

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ahh.. I was expecting some algebra when i saw this thread!

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

More sX and less whY as I read it but reciprocal of course as X stand for women and Y for men... this does not make sense.....I'll have to ask my wife :confused: