WTF do i have, OMC or volvo penta???

my outdrive says volvo penta on the tilt mechanism and the casing that bolts to the boat, it also says volvo penta on the flame arrestor cover, but it says OMC on the engine ID badge so my engine serial number is "302cpncs" so i cant find that ID on the volvo penta website....its in a 96 four winns , 3.0 GS supposedly.. GM Engine... but my owners manual says OMC also...im confused. did volvo buy out OMC during this year or something ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: WTF do i have, OMC or volvo penta???

That was when OMC and Volvo were involved in their joint venture before OMC finally went out of business. Basically, it is the Volvo design. The part number is a OMC number which coressponds to the "NC" series Volvo.

rob85546

Seaman Apprentice

It is the volv penta SX, right??
It is when the two went on thier joint venture.. I had a 94 which I believe was the first yaer of it.. I beleive that what it is is an OMC King Cobra, when you get parts they will work....

my outdrive says volvo penta on the tilt mechanism and the casing that bolts to the boat, it also says volvo penta on the flame arrestor cover, but it says OMC on the engine ID badge so my engine serial number is "302cpncs" so i cant find that ID on the volvo penta website....its in a 96 four winns , 3.0 GS supposedly.. GM Engine... but my owners manual says OMC also...im confused. did volvo buy out OMC during this year or something ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

King Cobras came out before 94 and were not the same as a Volvo SX. King Cobras came in many flavors so some have cone clutches and some didn't.

The King Cobras that were out in 94 were the older design...not the Volvo...but they did have a cone clutch.