Wrong Grease Steering Cable

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey,

My boat is impossible to turn. Someone put the wrong kind of grease on my steering cable in my manual steered Larson 174. I think I can pull the cable out of the steering tube and clean it with some degreaser and regrease and it be fine. Problem is I'm not sure what type of grease to use. My Seloc manual says "volvo water repellent grease". Well what the heck is that? I can't find it anywhere.

I did find a product by permatex http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/permatex-dielectric-grease-waterrepellant-tuneup-grease-pi-6676.html?image=0. But that doesn't seem right. I purchased it and put a little bit on my hand but I don't think that is what I am supposed to be using.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wrong Grease Steering Cable

99% of steering cable will not pull out. what kind do you have.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

99% of steering cable will not pull out. what kind do you have.

I'm not talking about getting the cable out of the jacket. I'm talking about pulling the cable out of the "steering tube" which is a tube positioned on the anchor block attached to the transom. The steering cable extends out of the tube. That is the part that was lubed up incorrectly. Its sticky to the touch.

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Demolish, Have a propane torch handy, as you may need it to get the tube off of the rod. If you get it out, clean all the old grease off with some solvent. See if you can clean out the tube with some sandpaper to get rid of the corrosion.

Any marine grease will work, but you need to reapply every couple of months or so. The best grease is Quicksilver Special Lube 101.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would sure help to know what engine and drive you have.

First thing to do is disconnect the cable nut that attaches it to the tube on the transome. Then see if the steering wheel will turn. On I/O's, the most common place for them to sieze up is where the SS cable end goes thru the alum. tube due to corrosion.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its the Volvo 3.0.

I think I can get it out of the tube, I think. I have the seloc manual and it is pretty straight foward. The local marine shop here told me that there is not supposed to be any lube on it. That any lube would attract dirt and cause me to have the same problem I am having now. But if I don't lube it I imagine it would rust.

I don't think there is currently any rust on it. When I sprayed some brake cleaner on the steering cable that is exposed the sticky old grease came right off. Underneath all the gunk it looked almost new. I now have to clean the inside of that tube. I'll try and get the cable out, get some degreaser/brake cleaner in there and see what happens.

I'll post some more info tonight, hopefully.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I removed the steering cable from the tube. I discovered even though the tube was tacky it was not the cause as the cable moved in and out easly. It was in the cable itself. Replaced it. Much better

Thanks