WOW! Striper

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Went to Lake Cumberland yesterday and caught my first two striper(2 fish is limit). I have wanted to striper fish since I was 11 years old(I'm 41 now) and finally went. I ran into a feller who shared some how-to's with me and that's all it took. Both fish were a little over 33 inches, not sure of the weight. The good news is that I live about 45 minutes from Lake Cumberland and now have the fever...Please pray for my wife! :D <br /><br /> And as a "high tech RedNeck" I don't think I could have done it without my fish finder and GPS!! :rolleyes:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: WOW! Striper

33"?... nice!<br />and so tasty too! now u can't post here without<br />sharing how they was caught... ;) <br />congrats,<br />M.Y.

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sure MY, caught em on large shiners and drifting over the school. Fished my rods from 35 to 70 feet deep and caught both at 40 feet in 145 feet of water. Lip hooked the shiners. 12 foot long clear leaders.

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It was 33 inches last night. Only 32 when I got pictures though. Shrinking fish?<br /><br />
First%202%20Stripers.jpg
<br />
Measure%20the%20first%202%20stripers.jpg

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Nice fish!!! ;) <br /><br />Don't know to much about lake stripers but I would think that 33" is a big striper for a lake!!! Also must have a high population of forage fish for stripers to survive & grow big!!! ;) :cool:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on to nice fish. At 33" those fish ran right around 12 lbs. I would imagine. I'd invite you down here to do some real striper fishing this fall but your wife would certainly kill me.

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dingbat, you have better striper than Lake Cumberland...hummm...don't be afraid of my wife!<br /><br />These are actually not big fish for this lake. bigger are caught everyday.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm fishing ocean stripers so it would be pretty hard for a lake to compete with the quality and quantiy of the fish I'm used to. We have fish year round but the best fishing is March - May and again in November and December. Give me a yell if your ever in the area and want to hook up.

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

None of these fish come close to the fish you got Tim Frey... NICE! But... since we're showin off pics, here's mine of our family trip to Lake Texoma (July 7, 2004).<br /><br /> http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/prwdtxn/detail?.dir=/b2f9&.dnm=bb67.jpg <br /><br />Got a late start due to weather, didn't get on the water till after 9:00am. Ended up with 37 fish and our limit of over 20 inchers (2 each on the Texas side). Most of these were caught slabbin and we managed to get a few (8) on top too, that's always a blast! :D <br /><br />If anyone is interested in a GREAT guided trip on Lake Texoma, I know the guy to hook up with. Ya'll just let me know if it's okay to put his link on this board. I'm not going to make any money from it, he's just good!

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like looking at catch pictures. The more the merrier. :D

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And I don't always have that goofy smirk on my face...only when I catch fish!

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

yea sure... I bet youre still wearin that grin! :D Those are some nice fish!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

c'mon Flyrod post some of the stripers Kevin Twombly and his son caught on the "Kayman too" last week.

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

Congrats, we fish for them all the time here in our lakes(Hartwell, Russell, Murray, Clarks Hill) and it is very addictive.<br /><br />To me the best time of year is the winter and spring when we catch them on planer boards and live bait. Summer time it gets kinda tough though and a lot of the folks fish for them at night. It is productive but I just do not care for it that much. I only night fish 2-3 times per year.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Hello Rolmops!!! :) <br /><br />Now why would I post Kevins stripers!!!???? :p <br /><br />Are his bigger then mine!!???? :D <br /><br />He is the guy if you want to go cod & haddock fishing in the cold weather!!! ;) <br />I'll have to click on his sight!!! ;) :cool:

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I just got home from catchin two more. Bout the same size as the other two. I'll measure em in the morn, too tired right now to do more than throw em in the fridg. And Dingbat, we call em rockfish here also, but I didn't know if people in other parts called em that so I went with the failsafe name of strippers.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

hey Tim... they are supposed to get BIGGER as<br />time goes on buddy, not smaller ;)