Would you buy this boat? Tahoe Q6

TheAviator

Cadet
Would you buy a, I believe its a "2005" Tahoe Q6? It has a brand new engine, the engine does look new, Mercruiser. The owner offered to take me out on it and seems legit. The price is around $9K but I can probably get him down to about 7.5. Has a trailer, looks in good shape. The only issue is the upholstery needs replacing, its not terrible, but there are some issues with it, including a few rips and holes, I'm thinking that could be done for 1000 or less. The owner said he was quoted $700 from a local upholstery place. Keel looks good, electronics look good, but of course I am an amateur and don't know my own bum from a keel bottom with this stuff. The glass looks good all around, starboard and port sides look fine etc. I am curious as to why the engine has already been replaced as well, I have mentioned this boat on another thread and I had that reaction from some of you. What if I did a total low ball offer of around $6 cash, would that change the situation for you? I believe these boats retail for about $28 new, not totally sure though, I haven't checked lately, just going off memory.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Would you buy this boat? Tahoe Q6

I'd be careful with that one. The interior is ripped up and it has a new motor most likely because the guy didn't maintain it. Interiors don't look like that on an 8 year old boat unless it's left out in the elements uncovered.

While pure speculation, it might have a new motor because he didn't winterize it, it froze and cracked the block. I'm basing this off the the weathered interior and apparent lack of care.

If you read on this site most everyone will say the #1 thing on a used boat is condition, the brand is far less important. It could be the best of the best new, but if it hasn't been maintained well, you could end up with a lemon. There could be a diamond in the rough here, as the rest of the boat does look pretty good, however I would get it inspected by a pro top to bottom.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Simple answer expressed in your last thread. No. don't buy that boat. Keep looking.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

No, I'd not buy it for the reasons above and others. Well,, maybe for $1500 or less

TheAviator

Cadet

Yes I suspect that is it, the previous owner didn't winterize it and cracked the block. This new and current owner has been maintaining it, but he got it in this shape. He says he needs the money for his house he's working on, he lives in a double wide trailer and is re-modeling and expanding. I have been over there. He had it under a covered roof with a cover. So you guys don't think its a good idea even if I could get it at $6 or $7 grand? With the new motor, what else could be wrong with it other than the interior from previous lack of care? I suspect the rips in the upholstery was from fishing off of it, but I do not know, regardless I would replace the interior.

Maclin

Admiral

The reason he gave about needing money, well, not quite compatible with this line from his ad..."Will consider trades of 4x4 SUV or trucks also desiel trucks"

My take is there is more wrong than what you can see, and this is a typical Lie-to-Sell spin.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I suspect that is it, the previous owner didn't winterize it and cracked the block. This new and current owner has been maintaining it, but he got it in this shape. He says he needs the money for his house he's working on, he lives in a double wide trailer and is re-modeling and expanding. I have been over there. He had it under a covered roof with a cover. So you guys don't think its a good idea even if I could get it at $6 or $7 grand? With the new motor, what else could be wrong with it other than the interior from previous lack of care? I suspect the rips in the upholstery was from fishing off of it, but I do not know, regardless I would replace the interior.

If you can get it for that I would look real hard at it. Heck I would almost buy it for that myself as a project to flip.

pisherofmen

Cadet

Buying a used boat of any make or model has several things that should be done before you make an offer even if they said it's new before any money changes hands.
1. Have someone or yourself look under all the decking or carpet to see if there is any water damage or cracks.
2. Have someone or yourself compression check the engine, even if they said it's new.
3. Check all the electrical connections for corrosion as the boat might have sunk. Test all systems.
4. Water test the boat, put it through it's paces.
5 check out the trailer, make sure there's no play in the wheels and no noise from bearings. Also check lights.
After all that and the price is right, have fun with your new boat.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I'd buy it after a compression test and test run...
Upholster it and FLIP. :)

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

That puppy is in rough shape for an '05. To answer your question would I buy it for $6k, yes - but I'd be asking a lot of questions, mainly why are you selling it and how long have you owned it. But can you get this for 6.....I highly doubt it. Not many guys out there are willing to take 40% off the asking price on a late model boat and if they are they you really have to wonder why (again back to I would ask a lot of questions).

TheAviator

Cadet

That puppy is in rough shape for an '05. To answer your question would I buy it for $6k, yes - but I'd be asking a lot of questions, mainly why are you selling it and how long have you owned it. But can you get this for 6.....I highly doubt it. Not many guys out there are willing to take 40% off the asking price on a late model boat and if they are they you really have to wonder why (again back to I would ask a lot of questions).

Very very good point about trading for the SUV. My dumb A didn't even think about that, so yes you're right, his line about needing the cash to fix up the house is a crock. Catch a boat owner in one lie, I suspect there are many others, good catch guys. Great site, great bunch of guys here.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

The ad currently does not say anything about needing cash.

This guy sounds like a flipper to me, which isn't a bad thing in itself, it just means this could be someone's else's lemon they sold him honestly and cheap and now he's trying to sell it for full price. Did I mention I would ask a lot of questions :D

Maclin

Admiral

I will re-appropriate a line in Days of Thunder movie....
from
"Rubbin' is racin' "
to
"Fibbin' is Sellin' "

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If this guy took poor care of the boat, the hidden things that could bite you include rotten floors, stringers, and transom. So when a boat that new looks that tore up, it could mean it was not covered and protected from the water and elements. Go over to the restoration section of iboats and look at the boats that are being fixed because of this type of owner neglect. Look at the cost, effort, and time it takes to bring a boat back from this. You will see why unanimously we are concerned about the bones of this boat, based on the interior shown. There are tons of boats out there, don't make an impulse buy, make a quality business decision.

TheAviator

Cadet

If this guy took poor care of the boat, the hidden things that could bite you include rotten floors, stringers, and transom. So when a boat that new looks that tore up, it could mean it was not covered and protected from the water and elements. Go over to the restoration section of iboats and look at the boats that are being fixed because of this type of owner neglect. Look at the cost, effort, and time it takes to bring a boat back from this. You will see why unanimously we are concerned about the bones of this boat, based on the interior shown. There are tons of boats out there, don't make an impulse buy, make a quality business decision.

Thanks do not worry, I've already decided not to buy this POS. The ad didn't say he needed cash to fix his house up, that's what he told me, but its just a little too fishy all the way around. And to be honest, that interior looked like a 20 year old boat, that alone is fishy and the fact that the motor had to be replaced, its obvious the boat was seriously neglected. Not going to buy this POS. As everyone said, way too many boats out there to choose from.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

See if he will take a wrecked truck since he wants to trade. Lowering my offer to $750.00