Would like to verify my 1990 2.4 l is actually a Bridgeport powerhead..

J warren

Cadet
I have what appears to be a 1990 2.4 L Bridgeport powerhead. I removed one of the spark plugs and with the piston at the bottom, dead centre it appeared that there was a bridge in the port of the cylinder wall.. it appeared to be on the outer most wall of the cylinder block.. the stamp in the top centre of the block is k514 and also 200 stamped into the freeze plug..

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

Dukedog

Captain
not even hi performance much less a bridgeport.................... 200 production motor.

J warren

Cadet
not even hi performance much less a bridgeport.................... 200 production motor.
OK it was re-painted black and it has a Bridgeport cover and I’m pretty sure I’m seeing a bridge in the port could you elaborate a little bit more? And it does run like a stock motor. Let me tell you that’s why I’m asking.

Dukedog

Captain
has (had)oil injection.. has mech fuel pump.. has 200 stamped on tha welsh plug.. all 2.4 200 production motor stuff.. .

J warren

Cadet
has (had)oil injection.. has mech fuel pump.. has 200 stamped on tha welsh plug.. all 2.4 200 production motor stuff.. .
Yes, that’s exactly what I’ve been thinking until I looked in the cylinder and saw that bridge. That’s what’s throwing me off.

Dukedog

Captain
i can guarantee if its got 200 stamped on tha plug you won't find a bridge in it................... that stamp was only on hi performance oval ports (actual same as production block, jus naked) and 200 production motors

J warren

Cadet
i can guarantee if its got 200 stamped on tha plug you won't find a bridge in it................... that stamp was only on hi performance oval ports (actual same as production block, jus naked) and 200 production motors
Is it normal that it has substantially less power than my 2 L 1980 mariner?

Dukedog

Captain
no.....
should run circles around it......... tha only one of less horse power that will run with tha 200 is "SOME" 175's.. tha ones that actually use tha 200 block half..

J warren

Cadet
no.....
should run circles around it......... tha only one of less horse power that will run with tha 200 is "SOME" 175's.. tha ones that actually use tha 200 block half..
I had to increase timing to 25° just to get it to even come even close.. maybe it is only at 175 I have no idea but everything is bigger, carburetters engine block everything and it has over 130 compression on every hole when it’s warm.. still will not rev out even close to the mariner

Dukedog

Captain
understand how ya feel.. been there way more than once.. it is a 200 for sure though.. it has tha marking and its got a horizontal front half... looks ta have had a tough life.. been over heated.. oiler disabled? looks like it.. could be fuel, and/or electric?.. jus keep pluggin' and you'll find tha culprit..

its gonna be a different gear than tha little 150 also so there's that.. won't make very much difference though......

J warren

Cadet
understand how ya feel.. been there way more than once.. it is a 200 for sure though.. it has tha marking and its got a horizontal front half... looks ta have had a tough life.. been over heated.. oiler disabled? looks like it.. could be fuel, and/or electric?.. jus keep pluggin' and you'll find tha culprit..

its gonna be a different gear than tha little 150 also so there's that.. won't make very much difference though......
My 1980 mariner was a 200 and I’m using the exact same prop.. the mariner would turn a 21 pitch this other 2.4 L will not even run a 21 pitch. It will only run 19. my 2.4 L runs beautiful. It just doesn’t pull or make the power … I’m going to measure and check stater and trigger just to see how they’re doing