WOT test results OK ???

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally made a WOT test on the Tai-Tai. Maybe not that accurate, because I was alone in the boat with some gear, and certainly that is not the average headcount and gear for a trip. In average we are 2 or 3 onboard, with lite gear. Also, I had half of gasoline tank (total is around 380 liters when full) and probably 3/4 of the fresh water tank (around 80 liters in total when full).<br /><br />Outboard is a 225 HP Evinrude, 1994, with VRO operative. Prop is a 15x17 (I still need to check this because can't remember exactly but it is 90% probability).<br /><br />Results were:<br /><br />37 MPH, 5100 RPM. I found it fast enough for me. Are the RPM ok ????<br /><br /><br />thanks for any advice

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: WOT test results OK ???

sounds like your rpm's should be a bit higher.. especially if this is "lighly loaded" .... you should ideally set up the boat for NORMAL use, and if you normally have 3 people and lots of gear, you should plan for that, other wise when you get it fully loaded, with this setup, you may lower your RPM's even more, in effect lugging the motor... if you get a chance, maybe you can try a lower pitch prop just for kicks!<br /><br />m ikey

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Kesh<br /><br />Mike is right about the low RPM's. It will lower the life of the engine and carbon it up quickly(Not good). Prop it to run at least 5500 with a normal load. I would at least drop down to a 15" prop or even possibly a 13", as this will get you near 5500 with everything aboard. This all assumes that the motor is in peak running condition..

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you are way to low. That presents a problem too. With the load you were carrying that engine should have cranked up to a lot closer to 6,000 RPM (you would not have wanted to hold it there, just test). You will gain about 200 RPM, or a little less, for every inch of pitch you go down and that is the problem. It would indicate that you actually need about a 12" or 13" pitch prop, and as far as I know nobody makes one like that. It may be time to consider another make or model of prop, one with different shaped blades, or whatever.<br /><br />By the way, let me tell you my little theory on prop pitch and outboard engines. I believe that any boat that has about the right horsepower engine on the tail will find itself using a prop of about 20" pitch. If you have a boat that is underpowered for its size you can make up for that to some extent by going down in pitch, but there are prices to pay. There are also boats on the water that are grossly over powered. Many bass boats come to mind and its not uncommon at all to see props with pitches in the mid-20's on them. That's OK though because that is just part of what bass boats are and what those guys do with them, the are just as much an exception as the open small boats that commercial crabbers used up and down the coast. For all the rest of us in our day boats if the prop that works right for us has about 20" of pitch its a pretty good sign that the boat has plenty of power but is not some sort of silly speed perversion. Just an observation, I'm sure a lot of folks won't agree. Doesn't bother me at all.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

We tested today again, with 3 adults onboard (including myself) and 3 kids (3 yrs old each). A cooler (not heavy loaded), and the normal gear onboard (2 anchors, some lines, 2 batteries).<br /><br />The boat is a 22.5 ft open, center console. It's a sturdy boat (heavy in my opinion).<br /><br />We made 5000 RPM and 33 MPH.<br /><br /><br />Do you think that a 15 x 15 will be ok ?????<br /><br />The outboard is a 1994 (I can not tell how many hours on it... but it is in good shape, runs smoothly, not rough when iddle, starts at first attempt (needs 2 when cold, maximum 3 if you do not choke it long enough).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You havent mentioned trimming. With these rpm results were you trimmed to optimum or trimmed down all the way?

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, I was sitting so couldnt see the trim angle indicator, but I told my partner to trim the engine up until get max speed...don't know for sure if he trimmed all the way up, I guess he used the normal position we use for speed that is the trim indicator in horizontal position, or a bit above...

walleyehed

Admiral

Our Boston Whaler 22ft'r has a 150 looper we use a 15X17 on, and get about 5300 with 2 on board.<br />Don't know the weight diff. but our 150 is in the second hole.