WOT RPM after rebuild?

Deryk

Cadet
Had my 1992 Johnson 60 TL series motor rebuild over the winter. Had it out on the lake this weekend to go through the break in procedure. After it was done I wanted to see what the WOT RPM's would be. The motor would not exceed 5200 RPM running about 30 MPH (non GPS). The boat is a 16 Tracker SC aluminum. The current prop is a 12 3/4 by 21. If the prop is correct for the boat and motor then does the motor need to be fine tuned?<br /><br />The VRO was removed and replaced with commercial pump. It now has the proper Champion spark plugs in it. Regular gas mixed 25 to 1 (for break in). New fuel lines, bulb and water seperator. <br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: WOT RPM after rebuild?

What would the motor turn before it was rebuilt? Same prop?<br /><br />Whats the timing set at?

Deryk

Cadet

I purcashed the boat and motor used at an auction. Only had it for a few months took it out and blew #2. From what I remember it was around the same, 5000-5200. <br /><br />I do not know what the timing is set at.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, at 5200 the middle cylinder stands a real good chance of not living very long. Especially if you run a lot in the mid range. <br /><br />Work with the set up and get as close to 6000 as possible with your average load. <br /><br />You'll also want to richen up the mid range on the middle cylinder. And make darn sure you use only Champion plugs. And fresh 87 octane.