WOT question

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I usually run my boat consistently at WOT while going across the lake. My set-up is correct in that I do not exceed my max recommended RPMs of 5500 at WOT. I'm just curious to know if it's okay to generally run my motor at WOT when on plane or if doing that puts too much stress on the motor in some shape or form??

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: WOT question

I'm no expert for sure, but I don't think running an engine that wasDESIGNED to run at that speed would in effect harm the engine somehow. As long as you are propped to run at the manufacturers recommended rpm's, you should be fine to run wide open while doing laps around the lake ;)

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I am thinking also, but I thought I'd check in here just to make sure. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

I wish I could afford to do that. :eek: At $100.00 to fill my boat tank, I try and make it last as long as I can. Running it at about 3,500-4,000 RPM. I can get about twice the fuel mileage than I get at WOT.<br /><br />To answer your question, no, youre not doing any damage.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I was always told as a rule of thumb(and I think it is in the little operation manual of most outboards) that once on plane an outboard should be throttled back to 2/3rds to get better fuel mileage.<br /> My old two cylinder 40hp if not loaded worked fine at 2/3 but my newer 50hp 3cylinder gets dramatically better fuel mileage at 2/3rd throttle.

even125

Seaman

But! if you ran the engine consistently at 80% of WOT chances are it will last a lot longer than consistently at WOT.<br /><br />Evan

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Bass, as long as it is in its rpm range, everything is dialed in properly (no over lean condition), you can run her all day at WOT. 2 strokes love to run. Me personally, my wallet hates WOT, so I cruise at around 4000 rpms, and use almost half the gas, but only lose maybe 10 mph. My thing is, unless you are fishing tournys or are crossing a huge expanse, I see no value in WOT running.

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I run my 6hp Suzuki 4s @ WOT and it uses about 2 litres per hour! On the other hand, my 115 Yammie 2s .......

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a different view. Is running at WOT, 100% of the time helping it? Suggest you let it idle and let everything get back to normal before you shut it down. Jet turbine engines are run at no load before shutdown. regards fred

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Depending on what motor you have 5500 may be close to lugging it with todays fuel. But, that depends on what motor you have and what fuel etc.<br /><br />For instance Yamaha just changed some recommendations for 2 strokes from 4500-5500 to 5000-6000. <br /><br />And you always want to aim for the top with an average load. The motor will live a lot longer no matter what rpm you run at.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe the point here is being missed.<br /><br />A motor should be CAPABLE of hitting max recommended revs at WOT. If it can't make max revs, then it's lugging - the setup is wrong somewhere and premature damage could occur.<br /><br />But that doesn't mean that you MUST run it at WOT all the time. As long as it can hit max revs, then easing off a little (as long as you don't lug it) is going to put less strain on all moving parts, and it's going to use less fuel, and it will probably last longer.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a 92 Mercury 115. After thinking about it a little more, I probably run it at about 90-95%, not quite WOT. But I love to go fast when I'm on the big motor. Besides, after I fish a spot a spot for an hour, I think it's important to replenish the air in the boat! ;) My runs are 5 minutes long at the most, so gas it doesn't dent my wallet enough to matter. I only fill the 18gallon tank, maybe twice a month at most. 90% of day is spent drifting and on my TM.

EFIS

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by pine island fred:<br /> Jet turbine engines are run at no load before shutdown. regards fred
Yes and at the movies the pulse drive omega 3 engines are run at 140% of capacity so this must be OK