WOT Gets stuck.

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1983 Doral runabout with the same year OMC 3.8l V6 with a 4 Barrel carb. My problem is and has been for a year or so now that when I giver full throttle (WOT) she gets stuck there, until I pull it back about two thirds closed again. I can acheve WOT without getting stuck if I accelerate slowly to it. Is there a llinkage I can lube or adjust to fix it? So far I have just lived with it, but when pulling someone on a tube or ski's they don't appreciate me quickly pulling back once on plane, and then back up. (Not a big fan of being stuck open when towing someone) Also what is the approximate HP of this engine?<br /><br />Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WOT Gets stuck.

Unhook the cable from the carb and see which is sticking. carb or cable/control. Have someone hold the throttle cable at the carb and see if it's hard to move. You should be able to move the handle easily, even with someone trying to stop the movement by holding then end.<br />My guess would be the control cable has worn a groove on the inside and hangs up. Put a new cable on and you will be ready to go.

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. I unhooked the cable from the carb, and found out that it is the carb that is sticking. Upon further investigation I found that it is the rear butterflies (If thats what its called) that sticks. I am able to turn the front open and shut with ease, but the rear one gets caught up on something at about 3/4 open, and then holds the fron one open until enough pressure from the throttle is applied to release it.<br /><br />BTW: Engine is a 3.8l V6 OMC 1983. and otherwise runs great!<br /><br />Thanks

vipzach

Lieutenant

Have you tried spraying a little lube on and around the butterfly and see if it frees up? If not try to watch carefully and see where it is catching.