Working on Cars...

eeboater

Commander
Ok, I need some advice for you gearheads of the board. For my graduation present to myself I plan on puchasing an old CJ or cheap Wrangler to play with. I want to to a semi-restoration on it to make it something that runs nicely. <br /><br />I like to think of myself as a technical kind of guy. After all, I manage all of the technology for 10 office across the United States. I'd like to think I'm "smart enough" to figure out the inner-workings of an automobile. <br /><br />My trouble is this... I have 0 experience with working under the hood of a car. I WANT to learn. <br /><br />How did you learn? My guess is that 95% of you did not go to school for it. Do you recommend that I just get one and tear into it?! My guess is that is how you learned.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Working on Cars...

I learned from working with my dad, then reading lots of books and magazines.<br /><br />When I was 15, he bought a running 66 Impala SS for 125 bucks, then we started to restore it. From then on, I was always adding new things, changing engines, blowing up stuff, etc... I had to learn to fix it.<br /><br />But I had been working with tools since I was about 8. Always enjoyed spinning wrenches.<br /><br />Old Jeeps are pretty straightforward, and plenty of info. Buy a manual, join a club, and have fun.<br /><br />Ken

one more cast

Captain

Sign up for vocational school night classes. Just tearing stuff apart will only teach you how it works. You need to learn about specs. and tolerances. However....My ex brother in law restored a 1927 Chevy to better then showroom condition including rebuilding the motor,replacing all the wood and recovering the top and painting it having never done any of these things before just by reading books.

magster65

Commander

That's what I did... started with the lawnmower engine in junior high and haven't looked back. Now I think I've graduated to be a professional back yarder! There's a lot to learn that I couldn't begin to get in to but if I can give you any advice... always use jack stands when you're up in the air and always disconnect your battery if your working on your engine or electrical. Go for it and dig in! Those old CJ's are a blast... we had one with a healthy 327 4 speed in it... it did wheelies!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

get a manual, find a parts store with somebody knows what they're doing, find the iboats of jeeps websites. <br /><br />votech school sounds a pretty darn good idea, might get some free stuff done like maybe bring your cylinder head to class for grinding or whatever, plus which learn how not to break your fingers or put your eye out and other dangers of working on cars.<br /><br />sounds like a fun way to offset all that IT stress you must have to deal with all day.<br /><br />and congrats on graduating! :)

dolluper

Captain

Just dig in and get dirty is one approach with the help of a work shop manual, motors are basically all the same but different componites[fuel delivery ,computer or not, fuel injected or carbed and so on ]hands on is how I learn't with hours and compulsory schooling till you get your ticket.Not being afraid to take things apart just to see how it ticks and throwing it back together and it works is a joy undesribile There is alot of help on the net just like here at Iboats Here's a link to a site that's pretty good for understanding 4 stoke engines and their components<br /> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

eeboater

Commander

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was thinking about sitting down with a Haynes manual and the Jeep Bible and having at it. I figure, whats the best way to learn than to just tear it apart and put it back together. And you guys are right, if I can't get it back together on my own, there's plenty of people willing to offer advice out there.<br /><br />Sean

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck with your project, but remember, there's a world of difference between "technology" and "age" - in other words, if you're going to tear-apart a 10-20 year old vehicle, you're going to run into a lot of wear, tear, and RUST!

eeboater

Commander

Yeah. Rust... its as prevalent on Jeeps as Old people on nude beaches.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Be sure to take some welding classes. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done that when I was young.<br /><br />Often times those old bolts just wont budge, and a cutting torch will save you hours of frustration.<br /><br />Start like many of us did, take apart some old lawnmowers. Cheap practice.<br /><br />Ken

Homerr

Commander

If possible, try and locate a jeep in Arizona or other dry areas. NEVER buy one that's been on or near a coastal area. It will be a rust bucket for sure.<br /><br />I took a few classes in High school that got me started on cars... after that it was all hands on.<br /><br />If you have the opportunity to take some classes, do it! especially if you intend on running any kind of fuel injection, etc...<br />(Doesn't sound like you'll be using injection, but I thought I'd toss that out there)<br /><br />And Ken's right... tear apart a few small engines to see what makes them tick. It's great fun, and you learn a lot. <br />My first project in school was a lawnmower. If it didn't start at the end of the semester... you failed! <br /><br />Those pre-injection-computer cars are a snap.<br />But rememebr one thing... all cars... no matter what they are... break down to basic copmponents. Once you learn that, then the rest doesn't seem so hard.<br /><br /><br />H.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

From personal experience, don't waste time with tech school. All they teach is how to read a manual and understand the basics. After 3 years I did not know any more than I knew before.<br />Buy a Chilton or similar manual and read up. There are some good books out there on basics. The easiest way to learn about engines is buy an old junked lawn mower with a briggs and stratton, they are the easiest. Buy a book on Briggs and rebuild that. The systems are exactly the same on a 4 stroke briggs as an 8 cylinder vehicle. <br />My first experience, I purchased an old Mustang and went to work. I rebuilt the engine from a book and my own natural ability. The only thing I had done prior was a lawnmower engine. <br />Most parts stores are manned by young gearheads that love to help.<br />Also shop around. Jeeps are easy to work on and easy to find replacement parts for. Check with JC Whitney catalogue and many others. They sell books and parts for jeeps.<br />Good lukc and just dig in. What's the worse that can happen?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow and to think I wasted almost 7 years of my life in various tech schools. not including the 3 years of tron schools in the navy. maybe thats why I still know nothing :) :) . but I will agree a few schools I have gone to I had more bacground,skill and knowledge than any two instructors :) .<br /><br /> EEboater<br /> if there is one book and one book only ya ever buy and read its a copy of<br /> motor auto engines and electrical systems mine is the 7th edition I got it when I was about 14 or so. the ISBN # is 0-910992-73-8 and the library of congress # is 77-88821<br /> there were a few on amazon not long ago. this book is not a specific repair manual but covers how many systems work and how they work with other systems.<br /> it was published by MOTOR

eeboater

Commander

Awesome -- thanks Rodbolt, I'm going to have to check that book out.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Be ready for a sticker shock. MOTOR manuals are the best, and they know it and price accordingly. They are worth every penny.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The MOTOR manual is what I was required to purchase in college for auto tech. At the time it was useless, and I don't think I ever opened it. BUT I kept it around, and looked at it after I finished school. Now it is on the shelf in my garage. I don't use it much, but loan it out all of the time. It is an excelent book for beginners. <br />The Chilton manuals and the like are great books too, but they are not for learning. They are for finding the specs and how to of specific repairs. <br />There used to be another great book for beginners to learn how it works was published by Mitchell. If I can find it I will post the name.<br />For Rodbolt, sorry to hear you wasted so much time. Actually, I did learn a little about a little, but not a lot. My thing is I spent too much time under a hood before I went to school. And the school I attended was probably not the best school out there.

dolluper

Captain

There also is a good book that was a tech school book[ required in auto apprentiship] called <br />Automotive Encyclopedia by Goodheart+ Willcox<br /><br />Library of congress card # 72-82164<br />In<br />ternational standard #0-87006-182-8 [ISBN]<br />It has alot of very good fundamental principles of engines ,tranies,fuel systems , electrical you name it and review questions I'm sure there would be a more modern update

D

DJ

I agree with those that suggested some BASIC auto classes. If nothing else, you'll learn about such things as: torgue values, fastener types, electrical basics, etc. All good back ground information.<br /><br />Other than that, I also agree with a vehicle specific Motors Manual.<br /><br />If you can, buy a sunbelt vehicle. I recently restored an '81' Camnaro that was an original AZ car and did not break one bolt or DID I see any RUST. What a difference. We ended up selling the car to a guy from Wisconsin. He couldn't get over the shape the body was in.<br /><br />Even Jeeps don't rust here. ;)