wood replacement on transom

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14' aluminum boat and the wood on the transom needs replacing. There is a strip inside the boat that runs the width of the transom at the top and is about 6" high. There is also a piece on the outside where the motor mount rests about 14" wide and 16" high. Is there anything I should know about replacing the wood? Is there another material I could use that is cost effective? Thanks

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wood replacement on transom

on an aluminiun boat, I'd just use wood.. <br /><br />cheaper, easier and not hard to change when its old and rotten.. <br /><br />I agree with composites and other non wood materials on fiberglass boats where its much harder to change once rotten, but you'r better of just replacing what you have with the same.<br /><br />Go and get the hardest most knotfree crackfree piece piece of timber you can lay your hands on, and you'll be just fine.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

crab bait

Captain

just don't use RED oak.. it rots faster than a ripe tomato...

rickl

Cadet

Hi Peter O,<br />You can do one of two things, use a hardwood or plywood. I prefer plywood either marine grade or high quality exterior and like to coat it with epoxy, and laminated for the piece where the engine mounts. This is done by stacking & gluing several thin pieces of ply on top of each other until you get the desired thickness, clamp or place heavy objects on top and let dry overnight. The next day you coat the entire piece, once it's dry you can install. (Use wax paper to prevent the ply from sticking to the surface you’re working on and use silicone when you install the mounting bolts. If done properly you shouldn’t have to do this as long as you own this boat.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Rickl

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing the replacement in the next couple of weeks.

crab bait

Captain

RICKI'S way is a good way.. but seal mountin' holes with epoxy ,too .. a major gate-way for rot...