woo hoo we are finally here

phatmanmike

Captain
i have a 1984 20' center console deep vee fisherman with a 225 johnson on a bracket hanging off the back on a sea drive unit.<br /><br />i had severe problems with water leakage around were the sea drive enters the hull.<br /><br />if you have same, lets talk. how did you fix it.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: woo hoo we are finally here

Well, that certainly is a problem I'd look into in a hurry. You don't want water getting into the coreing no matter what.<br /><br />I have a 1991 232 WAC that is bracketed against a full transom. The bracket is by Gil and it holds a Suzuki 225 EFI. I had the bracket off last year when I painted the hull. I also removed and replaced the rubrail at that time and went ahead and took out the 100 screws holding the liner to hull and replaced them with 100 bolts, fender washers, and nylock nuts. My stringers are just fine and I don't have any transom rot.<br /><br />I've traded E-mails with quite a few SportCraft owners and stringer or transom rot hasn't been a problem in any but the rarest of cases. The boats may have been built by uninterested clods but this is one problem they don't seem to have.

phatmanmike

Captain

thomvw, gald to hear from you. i new you had one too.<br /><br />on the back of my transom where the sea drive enterd through the hull, it started leaking. ive since tore out the wet and rotted wood, it was rotted about 8-10 inches in each direction. i dug out the wet wood untill i hit strong, dry wood, made a new peice outa 1/2" ply of that same size and glassed the **** outa it. then i did that 2 more times. now its rock solid, probably even more so than stock.<br /><br />the entire rest of the transom was fine as were the "knees" and stringers.<br /><br />i havent yet to put my sea drive omc v6 back on, so i got a 30 inch setback bracket and im gonna convert the sea drive to a standard tilt trim version.<br /><br />the rest of this boat is very heavy and rock solid.<br /><br />i hope this helps anybody else, and i look forward to hearing from more sportcraft owners.<br /><br />mike

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These boats are well worth maintaining/improving. Good in rough water, plenty of glass and well laid out. Replaced the transom w/Seacast due to leakage around the thru bolts on the motor bracket. I have a 20' center console and love it for what I have in it. It's a solid boat that responds well to any improvemenrs you make on it. Use it offshore to 40 miles in good weather.

phatmanmike

Captain

hey agitator, email me directly please, i have the same boat as you, and i would like to know what and how you did the transom.<br /><br />you sparked my curiosity<br /><br />mike