Won't stay started!!!

I am having problems w/ keeping my boat started. I can only get it started by bypassing the resistor for the coil. I don't want to go through another coil so I was wondering if there is anyway to bypass the resistor that won't mess up my coil. Or if someone can get me readable diagram of where the wires go to the key switch. I looked under the panel and there were only two wires hooked up to the key switch. I'm sure that's not right but I thought I would try to find out from you guys. Thanks

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Won't stay started!!!

Replace your coil with an internally resisted coil and remove your resister.
Or, hook the wire back up that goes from the starter relay to the coil. It's job is to automatically jump 12 volts to the coil when starting.
Two wires to the key switch?
Let me guess, a red 12 or 14 gauge, and a yellow w/red stripe?
You must have at least 3 wires.
Power to the switch. This wire is normally a heavier gauge red wire
Ignition (key in on position). This wire is normally purple
Starter (key in start position). This wire is normally yellow w/red stripe.
As for getting you a readable wiring diagram... For what? What is your make and model?

I'm not sure where the resistor is on this boat. I have a 1971 mark twain w/ a 165hp Mercuiser inline 6. Sorry I thought I put the make and model in here before and then I realized I didn't. right now all I did was buy an external resistor and put it in between to long pieces of wire and hook it to the coil and the keyswitch. The only problem with that is I hooked it up and it got Really Really hot and I started to smell like burnt wire. I unplugged it very fast after that. I was looking at the diagram that is in the Adults only and it shows a White wire coming from the key switch back to the positive on the coil w/ a resistor cable in between. I need to know where that is supposed to be hooked up on my key switch so I don't screw something up and get this problem taken care of for good. Thanks

MikDee

Banned

First, there is a wire that comes off your starter that is only "live" when you hold the key on start, it is a full 12volts (for starting purposes only!). Next there is another wire going to the coil from your ignition switch, it is the "Run" wire, it is "Live" as long as your ignition is on (This is your mandatory resistor wire) it has less then 12 volts, it must be used so that you don't burn your points up! You just have to figure which one is which.

There are probably other wires on the coil for your neutral safety switch, and on the distributor side of the coil, a tachometer wire which is probably gray.

I have the Red/White 12v power wire hooked to the Batt. terminal on the Key switch which goes to the Battery port on the alternator.

I have the Yellow wire hooked up to the Starter terminal on the Key switch which goes to the Starter Solenoid.

I have the White/Resistor wire hooked up to the Ignition Terminal on the Key Switch which goes to the positive terminal on the coil. I couldn't find any resistance wire so I have the external resistor in between two wires.

I need to know why it is getting very very hot and starts to smell like burnt wire. Thanks

MikDee

Banned

I have the Red/White 12v power wire hooked to the Batt. terminal on the Key switch which goes to the Battery port on the alternator.

I have the Yellow wire hooked up to the Starter terminal on the Key switch which goes to the Starter Solenoid.

I have the White/Resistor wire hooked up to the Ignition Terminal on the Key Switch which goes to the positive terminal on the coil. I couldn't find any resistance wire so I have the external resistor in between two wires.

I need to know why it is getting very very hot and starts to smell like burnt wire. Thanks

Take off the external resistor! :rolleyes: The white ignition wire IS the resistor!

It's not the original resistor wire. That one I can't find it, wasn't hooked up. So I went out and made my own. By the way this is a new boat to me I just got it.