Won't Start

devildog11

Cadet
I have a 89 Chaparral 4.3l v6 and replaced the intake manifold gasket, port head gasket, all pushrods, and put in a 5/8 oil galley expansion plug that was left out. All said and done and back together it won't start. I followed the zero lash procedure in the seloc merc manual and rechecked the timing of the #1 plug with the distributor. It sounds like it wants to start.

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Won't Start

You could start with the normal checks.

Check for spark - Remove a spark plug and hold it near a grounding point while a friend cranks the key.

Check for fuel flow. Remove a line near the Carb or Throttle Body and crank.

Maybe also check if the plug wires one to the correct plugs and firing order.

devildog11

Cadet

I know the fuel is good cause I can smell it when it atempts to start. Plug wires are brand new and in correct order. Ill try the old ones when I get home. Also Ill try new plugs I've been using platnum 2+.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fuel, compression, fire at the right time. Double check the firing order. Double check the top dead center and #1 plug. Crank it holding the throttle open about a 1/4, (be ready to pull it back when it starts), and turn the distributor back and forth slowly until it fires. That is of course after verifying the ignition actually fires a plug as mentioned above.