Won't start easy, and idel in nutural, revving up motor runs fine

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice
Won't start easy, and idel in nutural, when revving up motor runs fine.<br />Carberators tag is labled, 1389-9562.<br />Fuel tank and lines had been drained of any bad gas. Distrbutor has been adjusted to top dead center withh compressionn on the # one cylinder to set the rotor position to match the diagram in manual. Firing order is 1,3,4,2. A little hard to start engine, and to run at idel, (700 to 800) rmp's. Timing has been adjusted. Fuel pump and tested. Noticed with engine off there was still fuel going into the carberator. Maybe stuck floot, dirt, grime in carberator. <br />Check fuel system linkage today.<br />Any thoughts?<br />Rebuild carberator/kit, or buy rebuilt carberator?<br />Buy locally, or net?<br />Thanks for any help, George and Donna

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Won't start easy, and idel in nutural, revving up motor runs fine

You identified a flooding problem stuck/malfunctioning float needle valve. At high speed (revving up) the engine is consuming the fuel, at idle it is supplying it too fast and that is why it is hard to start.....my opinion.<br /><br />A kit carb kit can be obtained at a local auto parts store (NAPA for one) and while there get a couple of cans of Berryman's Chem Tool Spray (carb cleaner). It eats up everything so keep it off paint especially......course that's how it cleans up your carb.<br /><br />Clean up your carb real good and put in a new kit insuring that you set the float level per instructions. <br /><br />HTH<br /><br />Mark

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

My manual states that car and boat carb are not the same, explains why. NAPA or others would carry are rebuild kit for marine carberators?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

NAPA has a marine catalog. Since no marine dealers are around here I have gone there many times for repair parts for my Mercury engines over the years.<br /><br />Now that I think about it, fire in the boat is a big concern. I know marine carbs have spark arrestors but I guess there are other considerations too.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Mark