Won't rev under Load

Equis

Cadet
Hello

Last week I bought what i think is a 50HP Johnson 1975 Outboard.

I fitted it and it went perfect for about an 20 mins.

Now for some reason I can't get more than about 2000 rpm out of it when in the water in gear.

Its fine when not in gear, will rev right up.

Any Idea's?

Equis

Cadet
Re: Won't rev under Load

I am not sure, I can ask.

Also, not sure it it is a clue but if I pump the bulb on the fuel line while throttle is open and in gear I can get a few more RPM out of it, still not good tho.

Another clue is one plug was dry, the other seemed wetish when I pulled them out.

Thanks

:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my best advice is to check spark on both cylinders, compression on both. replace the impeller and tstat on that motor. and rebuild and adjust the carbs.

the only difference in you carb is you have the adjustable low speed needle, but you still need the tool to get the high speed out.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Almost guaranteed that one cylinder is not firing. Try testing the spark using a spark tester, or just pull off the spark plug wires one at a time (use gloves) when it's running. If one cylinder is dead, it won't do anything when the wire is pulled. It will die when you pull the good cylinder's wire off.
Also, never rev up the motor when it's on a flusher or in neutral. That a good way to overrev and destroy the engine.

Equis

Cadet

Just an update in this.

I took it out today and it was fine.... until I stopped and put it in reverse.
After that, going forward again is was bad again, not going above 2-3k rpm.
I'm lost.

jonesg

Admiral

One of the ignition coils is probably breaking down under heat, just follow tash and whalers advise, its very simple to find the problem coil when the engine starts acting up.