won't keep running or hard restart

papacan

Cadet
New to me, a 7.5hp,79' chrs. mod:72h9b. It starts okay when cold,could be better,idles,but when put into gear it only runs a couple of min's and dies & it seems the more it runs the harder the restart or not at all! I'm not a o/b mech.,I'm disabled, so any help making this easier to start & keep running would be greatly appriciated! THANKS! In advance!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: won't keep running or hard restart

Make sure the tank vent is open. Try running it with the gas cap unscrewed to see if it improves. When you prime it does the primer bulb get hard? If not check with the cowling off to see if it is leaking gas around the carbs. With the age of that motor I would recommend to rebuild the carb replace the fuel lines and rebuild the fuel pump. The diaphram for that fuel pump is only about 3 dollars and the carb rebuild kit is about 15 dollars. Toss in about 5 dollars for the extra fuel line. If bulb is hard and cracking another 20 dollars to replace it. <br /><br />Also might want to replace the plugs. Merc specs L 86 plugs for this motor.

papacan

Cadet

Sure sounds like a good start,& something I can do! I will attack it as soon as the weather brakes & report back. <br /><br /><br />1

papacan

Cadet

I did find problm's in fuel system as you guys stated, & on good advice I dropped the lower end I& found, pump impeller bad & housing worn & pitted badly and the kicker was the drive shft was twisted about 45degres below top splines. I learned to take my friends advice & also take the extra time to do the job right,in the garage,not on the WATER! THANKS YOU GUYS! <br /><br /><br />C