Wondering

Rolson1

Cadet
I have a 1969 johnson 85hp hydro electric drive. This past weekend I replace the impeller and it was not peeing out it really did not before out of the two holes on the rear of the motor. Is there water suppose to be streaming out of them? I remember before my impeller took a crap it would just like leak out of the holes at full speed. I figured them were maybe exhaust. Any help would be greatfull Thanks

curtisimo1981

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wondering

i had a 1975 75hp and it never peeded it kinda just spit water out of it. from what i was told those motors really didnt pee. i think everything will be just fine with your. but i'm not a boat mechanic. but like i said mine ran good and never peed..

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 74 Johnson 85hp and it doesn't really pee like I've seen other motors. I'm told its always been like this. Water comes out of the holes, just not a steady stream like you'd expect. My impeller was changed about 5 years ago when the lower unit was rebuilt.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Five years, I would think about it again soon.

iwombat

Captain

1978 (or was it '79?) was the first year a tell-tale (aka pee hole) appeared in those motors. You'll see some moisture out the exhaust relief holes (those two in the midsection), but most of it comes out through the prop.