wondering about 1969 johnson

Rolson1

Cadet
Ok I have a 1969 85hp hydroelectric drive. I was scrolling through the forums the last few nights and came across something really interesting. I have been adding the wrong lower unit oil. I have only had the boat for 2 years last year is the year I changed the oil in it. I put in gw5 I believe it was (bought at walmart) I noticed in alot of posts here that I should be putting in the C lowerunit oil. I looked at the same stuff tonight that I put in last year and it said in bold lettering do not use in hydroelectic shift cases. Now that I know not to use this stuff anymore. I only had the boat out 2 times last year and total run time was maybe 15 minutes. I am going to drain the oil tomorrow and get the correct lower unit oil. Now the question is how to get all the old oil out completely and if anything is wrong what to look for or what could happen any help would be great thanks so much guys for your time.

Also what is the correct fuel and oil mixture is it 50/50 ratio thats what I told by some one

Thanks again
Roger

longdraw

Cadet
Re: wondering about 1969 johnson

I thought that it was 50:1 ratio. Just about a pint per 6 gallon tank?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get the wrong stuff out. if you haven't had problems your 99% ok. the symtoms of the wrong lower fluid is it won't shift, or won't stay in gear. also check it every fall before the 1st freeze, if it has water in it, it will drain out first, or look milky. this will save you from a frozen, cracked lower unit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just do a normal drain and refill. Don't worry about getting the last few drops out, they won't hurt anything.

Fuel mix is 50:1, a pint to 6 gallons.