Wix filter cross reference for VP 4.3?

harringtondav

Commander
I'm prepping for the first engine maintenance on my latest Gen VP 4.3. s/n is in my sig.
OK, I'm a bit lazy and could do the cross ref myself, but figure someone else has already done the work.
Per Dr. @Scott Danforth , who I recall said Wix filters or nothing. Need fuel and oil filter p/ns.
Thanks, Dave

Fun Times

Staff member
Not feeling lazy at the moment so here's a start for you...OEM Fuel Filter Part No. 3847644, https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0/part-sections/54166648

Sierra Marine 18-8149 HIGH CAPACITY FUEL WATER SEPARATING FILTER

Try NAPA auto parts for a crossover as it may help, https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=3847644&referer=v2
Part #: FIL 3247 Line: NAPA Gold Filters
Part Number​
Manufacturer
Wix Part Number​
Lead Time
bullet.bmp
3247​
NAPA GOLD33247 , https://wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=193967

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Having played this game for years, take filter cross references with a grain of salt. They match fit….not necessarily form or function.

Once you’ve identified a possible replacement, always compare the specification to the original to make sure you’re getting a comparable filter.

Case in point…VP filter is 6 microns. Wix filter noted above is 14 microns

FWIW….dad put himself through school working nights at a filter factory. Mondays they used “white” paint with X labels. Wednesday they switched over to orange paint with Y labels…

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
Not feeling lazy at the moment so here's a start for you...OEM Fuel Filter Part No. 3847644, https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0/part-sections/54166648

Sierra Marine 18-8149 HIGH CAPACITY FUEL WATER SEPARATING FILTER

Try NAPA auto parts for a crossover as it may help, https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=3847644&referer=v2
Part #: FIL 3247 Line: NAPA Gold Filters
Part Number​
Manufacturer
Wix Part Number​
Lead Time
bullet.bmp
3247​
NAPA GOLD33247 , https://wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=193967
Thanks. I found the above at Napa (Wix 33247) and 7186 (Wix 57186) oil filter drop in cartridge.
Per @dingbat above, I toe the line on OEM vs aftermarket on critical parts. But boat builders don't make their own bearings, filters etc. I used automotive spin on oil filters on my previous Merc 4.3 LX for 24 yrs and slept well. Annual oil changes are light duty compared to 6-7K miles on a vehicle.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For Fuel & oil filters I have used Sierra; not sure if Volvo used the OMC thread size mount or not; also you can use a Merc oil filter if yours is mounted on the block; if remote mount it’s probably not the same as the block mount filter. I FINALLY got a remote oil filter mount for my 4.3 with Volvo style exhaust; I saw one on Michigan Mororz for the turn key engines they sell (Volvo 4.3) & ordered it. At last I don’t have to pull the rear seat just to change the oil filter! I had good luck with the Sierra & Merc filters.
4.3 remote oil filter mount.jpgRemote oil filter mount for 4.3 V6.jpg
PS this one can be mounted with the filter right side up as well.

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ahhh just clicked on that link to the Volvo parts site....do my eyes deceive me...or is the V/P electric pump REALLY $1944.00!
These old school mechanical pumps are like $53.99!
View attachment 376348
Pretty sure that is a direct injection pump unit not a 5 psi carb pump …

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looks like it is the high & low pressure pumps in one unit

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
But boat builders don't make their own bearings, filters etc. I used automotive spin on oil filters on my previous Merc 4.3 LX for 24 yrs and slept well.
There are no bad filters, just some better than others.

I’m picky about brand of my fuel filter (Racor) and the size of my hydraulic filters. Always run the largest can that will fit all

harringtondav

Commander
Ahhh just clicked on that link to the Volvo parts site....do my eyes deceive me...or is the V/P electric pump REALLY $1944.00!
These old school mechanical pumps are like $53.99!
View attachment 376348

Pretty sure that is a direct injection pump unit not a 5 psi carb pump …
It is. I looked it up. Appears to have both low pressure tank transfer and high pressure pumps in the assembly. It would be interesting to know if the second pump generates the 2000 psi for direct, in cylinder injection near TDC, just before spark.
My direct injected ranger has a cam driven, short stroke pump to achieve this pressure. Either way if the high pressure pump fails, the repair will be pricey.
Fuel pump.JPG

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is not a DI pump. It's a high pressure pump for MPI. Big difference.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If I recall correctly the older Volvo fuel pumps for port fuel injected engines were a low pressure & high pressure unit and retail on them was about $1000. Yes fuel injection is great better cold starts & running & idle smoothness but you get slammed with parts cost.

harringtondav

Commander
If I recall correctly the older Volvo fuel pumps for port fuel injected engines were a low pressure & high pressure unit and retail on them was about $1000. Yes fuel injection is great better cold starts & running & idle smoothness but you get slammed with parts cost.
Yes. I love my DI engine. Instant start, hot or cold, even after winter layover.
Even though the pump shown is listed for my engine, it doesn't look the same as mine. Last fall I removed the tank hose to run 2 stroke premix to winterize. The inlet is an npt barb elbow on top starboard above the fuel filter.
Maybe the hose shown is the tank return hose.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My brother has a 2020 Merc 4.5 200 hp and it’s the same as that; instant starts, smooth running day after day. Just like modern cars. I’m old enough to have had new/used cars with carbs & know the good & the bad with them. Quadrajets, 2GVs, Autolites & Holleys.

harringtondav

Commander
Your high pressure pump resides at the back of the engine just under the plastic intake manifold. Have a look here......cam driven.

Mark
Makes sense. It takes a lot of power to generate 2000 psi. My Ranger's is in the same location, but under the valve cover. There have been some complaints about gasoline in the Ranger's oil due to pump leakage.
Mine doesn't use or make oil, so look for other things to worry about.
I looked up my VP's pump. $700-$800. Boat part pricey, but at least it can be replaced easier.