Witnessed my first SHT and then committed my first SHT on the same day!

robsp2000

Cadet
Just bought my 1st boat in July (18' Bayliner) and I have been pretty good so far not messing up too bad. So Labor day week-end we stayed in a camping cabin only accessable by boat on Candlewood Lake which is like 5400 acres. The boat launch is about a 3-5 minute boat ride from the cabin. So Monday morning I go to the launch which is right next to a store so we can get some food. I am waiting with my boat on the beach area and a jeep pulls in off the street and goes right to the launch without preping, I think I see the transom straps still on as this guy immediately backs it into the water. I was thinking about saying something but since I'm new to this I thought this guy might have some system. He backs so deep into the water that his muffler is submerged. I didn't really see him go to the back of the boat so next he runs into the jeep without even pushing the boat off, so I thinking he is going to speed up the ramp and drop the boat in the water. I'm thinking this can get ugly if he left the straps on. He pulls up and the boat is still on the trailer. I had pushed off by this time so I'm guessing he realized the straps were still on. As I leave I see water pouring out of the drain. He forgot to put the plug in and take the straps off.<br /><br />Now to my SHT, we rented this cabin from a really nice guy who was staying about five cabins down from us that week-end. It was his first time renting it and he wanted to make sure we had everything we needed so he continually was saying, if you forgot or need anything come ask him first, don't go running to the store if you need some sugar or anything like that. He must have said that line atleast 5 times. So over the week-end we burn through 52 gallons of gas. It's Monday and we are near empty so we go to a marina and throw 12 more gallons in for one last joy ride. So after an hour or so we are a little above empty and we are packing the boat up to leave to go to the ramp. We had so many bags and gear that you couldn't even see the floor of the boat. Then add 5 people and I'm pretty sure we were atleast 200-300lb over the weight limit. All I needed to go was about 4 minutes to the ramp. About 50 seconds out WOT the boat loses power and dies. Now it won't start. I'm thinking I can't believe we ran out of gas. In some sections of this lake when it is busy the waves are 3-4 feet high. I even saw 5 foot waves at one point. Now we are stuck in the middle with a ton of boats flying by being tossed around. The boat was so full, we even had some full trash bags with us, that we must of looked like cuban refugees trying to get to florida. We wave a boat down and they thankfully tow us back to the owner of the cabins dock. He comes running down and before I can say anything my girlfriend shouts "We need to borrow some sugar". It was funny as hell. He gave us five gallons and we made it back fine. But it was the worst place to run out, and such bad timing for my first SHT. I will always keep a few gallons on the boat for now on. And I will finally be able to figure out how much the boat holds on my next fill up.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Witnessed my first SHT and then committed my first SHT on the same day!

Welcome to the club :D <br /><br />SHT's are easy, but that must have been kind of scary?<br /><br />We always carry a spare little engine and a set of paddles but I reckon in your case that extra weight might have sunk the boat completely :D <br /><br />The main thing is: did you have a good holiday?

robsp2000

Cadet

It was an amazing week-end. It's the largest lake in CT, it took about 15+ minutes to get from one end to another. The boat ran great (when it had gas it in).<br /><br />Since I have only taken it out like 15 times since I got it it July I brought a 9 ft inflatable raft just in case. Especially since the cabin had no roads that go to it. I was ready to break that out and go for gas before we got towed. It would have been an adventure though with the high waves.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know much about Conn. but how may acres is the lake. Just wondering.

robsp2000

Cadet

Originally posted by telmanmn:<br /> Don't know much about Conn. but how may acres is the lake. Just wondering.
About 5400

txswinner

Banned

Better watch out Telmann they gonna catch up with MINN on lakes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

good story! don't feel bad I had to get towed once for running out of fuel...it'll never happen again.<br /><br />question: <br />You're going to want the straps on if you're leaving the plug out, right?<br /><br />So, do the straps & plug offset each other, for zero stupid human tricks, or do that add up, for a total of 2?

rottenray6402

Ensign

A word of caution on carrying extra fuel: be sure it is in a spill proof container authorized for gasoline. I use the little 3 gal outboard tank because it stores easily and won't leak or spill. By the way welcome to the strange world of boating and rest assured you will have more SHT as time goes by!

gonefishie

Commander

Hey rob how is the fishing on Candlewood lately? do you fish or pleasure boating only? It blew my mind to see wall to wall fiberglass on a lake that size.

robsp2000

Cadet

I'd say that he gets 2 SHT for that one. The funny part was how calmly he drove in from the street and put it right in the water. It was about 6:30am so maybe he was still part asleep. I was dissappointed because he actually had the identical boat I just bought and I wanted to speak to him, see what I should look out for with mine. I figured he wouldn't really want to talk as he is draining out his water filled boat.<br /><br />I'll look into that outboard tank, I was thinking of ways for a regular can not to bounce around too much. But the tank would work perfect.<br /><br />I was there to just cruise around with my family but I did see a lot of people fishing over the holiday weekend, especially early. During the middle of the day it was crazy, only saw a few people fishing. I have never been there before and at certain times there would be 7 or 8 boats WOT in the same direction next to each other. The guy I rented the cabin from said that the fishing was good though.