With shifter cable issue how can I put it in gear?

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice
88 Glastron CX-19 with Mercruiser Alpha One

I bought all the parts to replace my intermediate shifter cable because I had all the symptoms of a faulty cable. I did notice while I was trying to adjust the shifter cable that I could not get the prop hand turned until it locked in gear. I am trying to pull the stern drive off but I can not get it off and I am thinking that I am not in forward and therefore not able to separate it more than a 1/2". Any input on how to rectify this situation would be greatly appreciated.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: With shifter cable issue how can I put it in gear?

Don't now what engine you have, but try disconnecting the lower shift cable at the shift plate and see if you can shift it by hand...pulling/pushing the cable.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the cable is actually the problem, and you plan on replacing it when you get the drive off, you can cut the cable back between the drive and the cable bellows. Then you can raise the drive and turn the shift mechanism so the foot and shoe are straight fore and aft. Do this while turning the prop to keep from being on the high part of the shift dogs.

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

I tried removing the intermediate shift cable on the shifter plate and had a friend pull on it while I spun the prop and we could not get the prop to engage. Thanks for the quick responses by the way.

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

If the cable is actually the problem, and you plan on replacing it when you get the drive off, you can cut the cable back between the drive and the cable bellows. Then you can raise the drive and turn the shift mechanism so the foot and shoe are straight fore and aft. Do this while turning the prop to keep from being on the high part of the shift dogs.

Can you explain this further?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Can you explain this further?

If you simply cut the cable, you can manually put the outdrive in forward gear. The cable can be accessed to cut on the starboard side. In the picture below, the cable goes through the small bellows:

outdrivepainted.jpg

shiftcablebellows.jpg

Here's a picture of the shift shaft and "shoe" that you need to align straight ahead forward and aft in order for the outdrive to slide off. (In the picture, it is not straight - it needs to be straight or the outdrive will not come off).

shiftshoes.jpg

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate the pictures and I am following up to that last picture. Where is that picture being taken from?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

New Jersey

Don S

New Jersey

LOL, but unless he stole the pic, it's from Florida.

Raise the drive and look up under the drive.
Also, go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum and download OEM service manual #6 and start reading. You really need it.

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

I have the manual and I was reading it and it said that if the drive wouldn't budge then it was a frozen shaft. That is why I posted here.

Don S

I have the manual and I was reading it and it said that if the drive wouldn't budge then it was a frozen shaft. That is why I posted here.

If you have a manual that says that, then you have either a Clymers or a Seloc aftermarket almost right some of the time manual. Which one? Because it sure isn't the OEM manual.

ziggy

Admiral

Where is that picture being taken from?
with the drive tilted up pretty much to the edge of the gimble ring. laying on the ground facing aft looking at the shift shaft coupling on the fore side of the drive. like fm said, the pic is not in fwd. it is in neutral. if in reverse, it would be facing even further to port. but when in fwd. that coupling is facing fore and aft which is necessary for sliding the whole drive off, which is straight aft. the coupling slides apart.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

LOL, but unless he stole the pic, it's from Florida.

New Jersey??? This time of the year? I think not. ;)

Actually, I did "steal" the picture. Did a search and it shows up here on iboats. I don't even remember who posted it. A "tip of the hat" to whoever did. :)

Don S

Actually, I did "steal" the picture. Did a search and it shows up here on iboats. I don't even remember who posted it. A "tip of the hat" to whoever did.

Well, I just looked at the properties of that picture, and I guess BT Doctur was right when he said NJ. Seems it's from HIS Photobucket account. So, the "tip of the hat" goes to BT Doc.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Ah! Now the New Jersey makes sense. I trust no offense taken to post his picture. To me, a picture truly helps understand what is going on.

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt Doctur
New Jersey

Ayuh,.... Thank you BD,....

Not only an excellent photo,...
But a screen spraying Laugh,......:D ;)
and it said that if the drive wouldn't budge then it was a frozen shaft. That is why I posted here.

Ayuh,... You may still have that problem,.... 1st things 1st though...

Btw,.. Welcome Aboard....

ziggy

Admiral

the pic is of Lime Times 1 drive.... in Nebraska.... ;)

cr2k

Captain

Also quit having your friend "pull" the cable. You push it to go in forward gear.