Wisconsin "National Cat Fight"

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Wisconsin "National Cat Fight"

I saw the story last night on the news. I think presevation of wildlife is important. Preservation of a domestic animal that has a litter of kittens in such a short time is not threatened, but needs to be better controlled. As such, homeowners of cats should be treated as those with other animals that have to be licensed and leashed.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'll continue to shoot first and not bother asking questions

Bondo

Staff member

We Need a law like that Here in Northern Ny.........<br /><br />The Latest Dumb Idea the Tree-Huggers/Cat Lovers around here had was to trap,+ Spay all the stray cats they could find..... Then release them into the wild at an abandoned farm........<br />Dumb....<br />Dumb....<br /><br />Non-Native Speices.............. I Like that Classification....... ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How does one know the difference between a domestic cat on the roam and a feral cat?<br /><br />Cats are very effective predators. Many forms of wild (and domestic) life are threatened by cats on the loose. They include many "pest" species like mice and rats as well as ground dwelling birds, rabbits, squirrels and other small critters.<br /><br />Without a "barn" cat many farm outbuildings would suffer from infestations of mice and rats. Around The Hideout those chores are handled quite well by coyotes, hawks and owls, any of which enjoy a cat as much as a bunny for a snack.<br /><br />Roaming cats affect an environment in complex ways. It is oversimplification to make general statements praising or condemning them.<br /><br />My cat, Catzilla, is a strictly indoor cat. White cats don't last very long outdoors here. I find cat remains on my walks more often than I see roaming cats. They haven't been shot.<br /><br />In other environments loose cats can be a blessing or a curse. Most places they are some of both.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My dog was very excited to hear about the proposed legislation.

KaGee

Admiral

Hmmmmm.... was expecting another kind of "cat fight"....ooopppppsie! Did I say that?? :eek:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Hmmmmm.... was expecting another kind of "cat fight"....ooopppppsie! Did I say that?? :eek:
Me too, was looking for TONYA HARDING? Bummer.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> Cats?<br /><br />Tastes like chicken!
The special tonight is...<br />Almond Chicken<br />Seseme Chicken<br />Chicken flied lice....

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

22f8uv

NathanY

Commander

How does one know the difference between a domestic cat on the roam and a feral cat?
They are one in the same, I beleive they are classified as "feral domestic cats".<br /><br />Feral meaning not native, introduced. I guess if you let it outside, out of your control, it becomes feral.<br /><br />By the way, I say kill em all. Outside cats that is. Not my precious Cheetoh.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> How does one know the difference between a domestic cat on the roam and a feral cat?<br /><br />
I don't know and I don't care. <br /><br />They all look the same over gunsights.<br /><br />Domestic animals getting into farmland etc are a real problem on the fringes of cities and towns here.<br /><br />Here if a dog is roaming in farm country you can shoot it. Sorry for the kids who lose a pet but I'm even sorrier for the sheep that domestic dogs kill. It ain't a quick or pretty death. A lamb is just as cute as a puppy and has the same right to live (until it's time to turn the lamb into lamb chops, but that's a different issue).<br /><br />Same with cats. Sorry if people lose pets but cats are thrill killers in the wild.<br /><br />It's not hard for people to avoid getting their cat or dog shot. Just make sure they stay home.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Tink, spend some time camping up in the high country and you will soon learn the difference between a domestic cat and a feral. They are big mean SOB's. All of the ferals in our state are domestic cats that have been released or otherwise not looked after, they get into the scrub country and feast on small native animals - and they grow & grow. I've seen them the size of a medium size dog. As far as I know, their only enemy is feral dogs and deer/boar hunters. In some areas the local authorities lay down poison traps.<br /><br />Aldo

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I like cats, but a varmint is a varmint is a varmint. Any varmint that's loose and a danger to other critters is fair game. If it ain't on a leash, it had better have a collar on it or it's going to moving along to the next life if it gets in my sights. Rabies is definately out there as a Wisconsin girl can attest because she is the only known survivor of the disease once it takes hold (she was bit by a rabid bat). They guy that proposed the measure is now getting Death Threats. Some people just have no grasp of Reality. :rolleyes: