Wisconsin, it's your turn to give this guy the bum's rush

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Even the Indians think he is a fraud.<br /><br />MADISON, Wis. - A Colorado professor who once compared some World Trade Center victims to a Nazi war criminal will be allowed to speak at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater next month, a decision the chancellor said was repugnant but necessary under First Amendment principles of free speech. <br /><br /><br />AP Photo <br /> Slideshow: Professor's 9/11 Comments Cause Uproar <br /><br /> <br /> <br /><br />The decision Thursday sparked outrage among state lawmakers, who said they would ask the UW System president to intervene to block the speech by Ward Churchill. <br /><br /><br />UW-Whitewater Chancellor Jack Miller said in a statement he decided to honor an invitation for Churchill to speak at the campus 40 miles southeast of Madison despite the controversy over comments the University of Colorado professor made about the Sept. 11 attacks. <br /><br /><br />Miller laid out requirements he said must be met to ensure the March 1 speech would go off as planned, including assurances the university can guarantee the safety of the campus, visitors and Churchill. <br /><br /><br />While calling Churchill's comments "grossly inappropriate," Miller said it would be up to students, staff and others to judge the professor's comments. <br /><br /><br />"I have worked to make an informed decision, not the popular or politically expedient one," Miller said. <br /><br /><br />He also said in a statement no taxpayer money will be used to pay Churchill's honorarium or travel expenses. <br /><br /><br />Republican State Rep. Steve Nass began circulating a resolution Thursday to condemn Miller's decision that he hoped the full Legislature would vote on next week. Nass questioned why the university would allow someone to speak who had engaged in what he called anti-American hate speech. <br /><br /><br />"The bottom line is common sense has to prevail here," said Nass, who graduated from Whitewater in 1978. "This is hate speech. The chancellor is saying it's OK to bring hate speech to the university so long as it does not cost the university money." <br /><br /><br />Churchill came under fire after it became widely reported that an essay he wrote likened workers in the World Trade Center to "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who ensured the smooth running of the Nazi system. <br /><br /><br />Churchill made the comparison in an essay written hours after the 2001 attacks and later revised for a book. <br /><br /><br />The ethnic studies professor said in Boulder, Colo., Tuesday that his essay referred to "technocrats" who participate in what he calls repressive American policies around the world. <br /><br /><br />The essay and follow-up book attracted little attention until Churchill was invited to speak last month at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., which later canceled his talk out of security concerns. Other schools have canceled planned speeches by the professor because of similar worries. <br /><br /><br />Churchill, a longtime American Indian Movement activist, was invited to speak at the campus six months ago on the topic of racism and American Indians. He did not return a call The Associated Press left at the university Thursday or respond to an e-mail.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Wisconsin, it's your turn to give this guy the bum's rush

People like this **** me off. They have no idea how good they have it. I honestly cannot relate or see his side of the story. He is profiting off of sensationalism, which ultimately makes him the capitalist and according to his terms, a little Eichmann himself. Hippocrite.<br /><br />This is not a freedom of speech issue. Although the University is not paying him or his expenses, they are by proxy sponsering him and utilizing state paid for facilities to hold this crap. If I were a taxpayer from Wisconsin I would be asking some serious questions about how the University is being a steward of the funds we have allocated them to educate our citizens.<br /><br />This man is a fraud ( check into his education and status as a memeber of the indian tribe he claims to be part of) and an idiot and I am hard pressed to find out why his opinions are valuable.

Twidget

Commander

He has the right to say whatever he wants, I dont understand why he has to be paid to say it. How is it denying his his first amendment rights to cancel his program? He can stand on any street corner and preach his lunacy. <br /><br />He is an idiot, but it seems there are quite a few of them tenured in college campus' around the country.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'd rather hear Pat Sajak. ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow lets tell everyone if we dont like it we wont hear it. la la la I cant hear you lalalala.<br /> sounds like my kids. <br />I try to read and listen to a lot of that garbage. wanna read some real trash pick anyone of louis farrakans stuff. but this is the stuff you have to read to stay informed in todays world.read it, judge it on its merit not a 30 sec sound bite edited for sensationalism then toss it out.but to fight an enemy ya have to know more than its just an enemy. you have to know the agenda,motive weapons and tactics. thats why we allowed Cuba to stay russian. gave us a window on the rooskies. but if its a public university taking public funds they have tolet him speak. just like we have to let the panthers and the klan march as well as some other not tonice people. thats what makes this country a bit different to some others. if all you ever wish tohear is the party line move to cuba.

rogerwa

Commander

I don't think anybody says he cannot voice his opinion, as idiotic as it is. He can write his books essays or whatever. Nobody denies that. For that matter I can write whatever I want for whatever reason and whos to say I can't.<br /><br />I do not have a right protected by free speech to speak on my local state run and funded campus. Maybe I just don't understand the mission of the public university.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I hear they may be reconcidering this, after new claims were made against him today.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Universities supposed to EDUCATE? If all you do is throw the old hard line at them and don't introduce them to differing ideas ... sounds like Communism. I believe I heard that China has such a policy. They kill the students that think for themselves. Ever heard of Tianamen Square???<br /><br />Anybody has the right to listen or stay away. Let him speak. But I'd still rather listen to Pat Sajak on Politics. Rush Limbaugh move over! :rolleyes:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

willy<br /> I am with ya<br /> I have ben to a klan rally just to see what all the fuss was about. I have not been twice. I did not like the message at all but they have just as much right to spew as I have a right not to participate,listen or even attend to protest.<br /> as long as they keep the rally inside the bounds of the law let them do as they wish. does not mean I have to attend.

D

DJ

He has the right to say whatever he wants, I dont understand why he has to be paid to say it. How is it denying his his first amendment rights to cancel his program? He can stand on any street corner and preach his lunacy. <br />
I agree.<br /><br />Our forefathers practiced the "free speech" rights that they so dearly believed in and it cost them dearly.<br /><br />Nothing is "free". He is being "endorsed". The endorsement being the facility, security and an audience on which to promote his message.<br /><br />I'm sure someone like Billy Graham wouldn't have a snowballs chance in he!! of getting such a gig.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Free Speech? If your getting paid to make the speech, then it's not free speech. DUH. If you pay for something it is not free. So therefor the school should have cancelled him if the speech contained content that they know would be controversal. The ole saying "You get what you pay for" even if your paying for a free speech.<br /><br />Just crazy, future generations look out.