wirng adapter question

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am pondering adding brakes to my boat trailer. The question I have is in regards to the back up solenoid and the wiring of such.<br /><br />I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado. It has a seven pin connector on it. My trailer has a four pin connector. If I install brakes I will need to install a five pin connector on the trailer.<br /><br />I have the 7 to 4 adapter. Do I need to tap into the back up lights or is this already wired in this (seven pin) connector so that All I need is an adapter?<br /><br />And can somebody please tell me what the seventh pin(auxilliary (sp?)) does in a seven pin connector?

tommays

Admiral
Re: wirng adapter question

wiring2.gif
<br /><br /><br /> http://www.easternmarine.com/em_showroom/tech_info/light_tech.html <br /><br />this should help you out<br /><br /><br />tommays

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The auxiliary contact is a heavy gauge wire used to charge the batteries in trailers (like travel trailers). or to serve as a source of 12V power for that trailer if it doesn't have its own batteries (like cargo trailers).

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Upinsmoke, do you think I could use that auxiliary connection to run my power winch? Thanks, Rich

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Depends on what size the wire is to the connector on your truck, and how much current the winch draws. Offhand I'd say absolutely no problem. I believe that "aux" wire is hot all the time so its an ideal source of power. Just be sure you have a heavy ground wire as well. Don't rely on the hitch ball for that job. Rust and grease are not good conductors.

Gone Again

Cadet

If you look at the cover that flips over your wire connector on your Siverado, you will see that the center pin is marked back-up lights. All you need is a round seven to flat five adapter or you can change your trailer end plug to the seven pin. Either will work just fine. Also if you use the adapter you can still connect to any trailer with a flat four connector. The fifth pin will just not be used.

kence

Cadet

You will need the back-up solenoid if you install disc brakes but if you are installing drum brakes most of them are free backing and will not require the soleniod.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

My advice would be to install a 7 way connector on your boat trailer. Because if you need the back-up solenoid, you'll need more than five wires. The reverse light wire is pigtailed near the round seven connector. The factory does not connect this, but they provide it. Generally it will be either a light green or a light blue. The connector on the end of the wire will ha ea cap on it most likely. The seven pins are for charge or 12V, ground, elec brake, stop & turn, tail, and aux or reverse lights. The ground wire for your truck should be a 12 gauge wire, as well as the 12V and brake. The remainder will be 14-16 ga with the reverse most commonly being 18ga. The Aux terminal can be for any auxilliary function you want it to be for. You just have to run an appropriate gauge wire to it if you want something other than reverse lights on your truck.<br /><br />And pfistey1, you can run your winch off the 12V terminal if you isolate the winch circuit from the trailer battery, or run proper gauge wire, and if your winch won't overload the circuit protection (fuse) supplied by the vehicle manufacturer. If the fuse is only 30A and your winch draws more than that, you will need to replace the factory 12V/Charge wire with a heavier wire. Generally GM's supply a 40A charge fuse.<br /><br />Good luck guys.