Wiring issue in hooking up marine stereo

fllawyer

Cadet
Hi all,

Long-time lurker, but I recently bought a 2007 180cc Sea Boss, so I've been a little more active as I've taken on projects. My current one is putting in a marine stereo and speakers. I've done the project once before in a smaller Skiff, which was not too difficult. However, the one issue I'm finding with my Sea Boss is that there isn't (to my knowledge) a bus board under the center console that has open terminals for me to connect my wires to. Instead, all of the wires seem to come/go from the switchboard into a large pipe into the floor which goes back to the battery and I presume a bus board as well, since there are only the single positive/negative wires coming off the battery.

My question is, what would you recommend for this situation? My stereo requires both an Ignition 12+ and a Battery 12+. I've got it temporarily working by simply combining the two wires and putting them directly to the batter when the boat is running (and taking off when the boat is off to avoid battery drain).

On my switchboard, there is a top row of switches that are all being used by the various electronics/bilges/pumps in the boat. There is a second and third row that have little "nubs" for switches on the outside - as in, there is no switch or toggle to be made. Under those switches on the inside of the center console, the wiring seems to be done in series so as to keep up the circuit. A picture is attached of the bottom right switchboard. Can I somehow hook up the wire to one of these empty switches while keeping the circuit fine?

Thanks again in advance for your knowledge and help.

Attachments

• photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring issue in hooking up marine stereo

Those are not "series" connections but rather a "daisy chain" (jumping from one switch to the next which is very different from a terminology and electrical viewpoint). The red wire is the positive feed to all the switches. The other connection on each switch is the feed for whatever that switch controls and there may be a ground connection for the internal light in the switch. I take it the "nubs" you refer to on the outside are circuit breakers. If they aren't then there should be a fuise panel somewhere. To make power connections you need to visit your local auto store and buy a couple of spade type adapters (taps) that allow more than one connection. You simply disconnect the red wire from any of the switches in your picture. Slip the adapter on the switch terminal and then connect the original wire and the power and memory wire. You can easily add a separae switch for the memory function if you wish. If you use the boat regularly that small drain will not bother the battery.

fllawyer

Cadet
Re: Wiring issue in hooking up marine stereo

Silvertip-

Thanks for that valuable information, and that makes perfect sense to me. Would West Marine have the spade adapters you refer to, or should I go to ad Advanced Auto Parts?

One thing though - the "nubs" I refer to are, I don't think, either of what you referred to. On my instrument panel, there is a row of switches each with writing next to them indicating that it is supplying power to something - i.e. Nav, Acc, Bilge, etc. On the second row, there are not any switches protruding from the black "nubs" but simply a rubbery area that does not have any switch to turn on/off. Thus, do I need a switch? Or will there already be continuous power flowing to those areas? Thanks again