Wiring in a 4 in 1 gauge

cjdjmullen

Cadet
I am interested in making a new instrument panel for my 97 Four winns Sundowner 245 w/7.4 volvo-cobra sx drive. Has anyone ever installed a 4 in 1 gauge? I am not sure if this will work to replace the gauges that I have. I am replacing because it seems that some of them are not working as like they used to. I am especially having issues with the trim gauge. I bought a new trim sender and the gauge is acting up. So I have to trouble shoot the wiring to see if it is the wiring or the gauge before I go through all of this.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring in a 4 in 1 gauge

Multi-function gauges are no different to install than individual gauges with two exceptions: 1) you need only one hole, and 2) there is only one 12 volt and ground connection whereas there is one for each gauge in individual setups. If you are considering digital gauges then that may pose some engine-specific problems.

cjdjmullen

Cadet

How do the gauges work specifically? Do they work by voltage variation? I know that when you have to check the trim sender they specify a certain amount of ohm. So does the gauge send a specific voltage and the sender just returns it based on the resistor setting the voltage?

Splat

Lieutenant

Some work by voltage fluctuation, others by resistance, and even some by pulse width.

Depends on the manufacturer and the engineer that day.

Bill

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Conventional fuel and temp gauges depend on a variable resistance element as a sending unit. Temp gauge senders are typically 33 - 240 ohm thermisters (temperature sensing resistors). +12 volts is connected to the gauge and the sender varies that voltage internal to the gauge meter as temperature rises and falls. Fuel gauges work the same way. The sender in the fuel tank has a float arm that swings up and down thus varying the resistance that is read by the gauge. Water pressure gauges don't need a sender as they work in the same manner as a pitot speedometer. Voltmeters simply measure voltage across the +12 and ground sides of the power system so they don't need a sender.