Wiring Ignition Switch (magneto) Question

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone I am wiring a 1963 Evinrude 40hp. I wanted to know if anyone knows what the magneto's function to the ignition switch is.<br /><br />Basically I have an ignition switch that has only one lead for the magneto. there are other switches that have two leads for the magneto. <br /><br />If I hook up both magneto wire to the single magneto lead will that work??(it doesnt seem that they are marked different on the schematic)

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Wiring Ignition Switch (magneto) Question

No it won't. You have to short the two magneto wires together for the engine to stop. These lines must be kept independant and unconnected to the +12v system.<br /><br />The keyswitch you have, is there a connection for 'Ground'? Or perhaps you have a switch ment for an I/O? Switch manufacturer and p/n might help.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK thanks,<br /> <br />There is a ground lead on the keyswitch. Both wires are connected together, but hooked to the mag lead. You are saying that if I keep them together and ground them (away from power) it will work, right?<br /><br />I will go down to the garage now and pull the part number of the keyswitch. I know the manufacturer is "Seadog line"

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The part number is 420351-1. Here is the link to the manufacturers website http://www.sea-dog.com/ I tried to give a direct link but it won't let me. Just view their current catalog and then search in switched for "ignition"

Paul Moir

Admiral

I hate to say it, but I can't figure out a work-around that will make that switch work. The problem isn't just the kill switch wiring, but the starter solenoid is wired differently too.<br /><br />Of the sea-dog line, you can use 420369, 420385 or 420386. All these are push to choke switches and if you've got a water choke (with rubber water lines attached) then that will simply be left unconnected. One magento line connects to the 'M' terminal, and the other one connects to the other 'M' terminal (incorrectly marked as going to ground on the schematics). The 'I' terminal will also be left unused.<br /><br />Hope this helps you!

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, That is what my gut feeling was. Thanks for the insight I am going to try to find one of these switches today. Thanks again Paul<br />Sal