Wiring Help

nawlinjoe

Cadet
Okay Guys I'm a newbie to this so please bear with me.<br /><br />I just had rebuilt a mercruiser 165 inline 6 to put in my 1972 aristolcraf nineteen boat. The install went okay but I can't seem to get it started. I think my problem are with the wires that connect to the starter and distbritor.I've tried everything but cannot seem to get it to start. I've tried using both the old original point distbritor, and a new elctronic distbritor but still no spark. So far this is what I've done:<br />1) Got # 1 Cyl Top Dead <br />2) Mark #1 Cyl and point rotor to it.<br />3) Check for spark by holding spark plug wire 1/4" from plug while cranking,No Spark<br /><br />Could one of you Gurus please provide me with a wiring diagram of the that goes to the distbritor, starter and coil or even better pictures.<br /><br />Thanks in advance...<br /><br />P.S. I have a manual for this motor and outdrive but it doesn't give any detail for wiring..

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wiring Help

This is more for the Mercury/Mariner forum Joe. I'll move it there.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Wiring Help

Joe,<br /><br />It should be in the I/O section but I'll post here anyway. You post e-mail, I'll e-mail wiring diagram.<br /><br />Chris..........