wiring help please!!!!!

dburr

Seaman
I have a 703 control box with wires yellow/green/black/pink/double yellow coming out of it. The motor which is a 87 yamaha 50hp has three wires coming out of the ignition box (I think thats it) they are yellow with a red strip/greyish blue and green.<br /><br />Additionally i have a long jumper cable with three connectors on one end and multiple stuff on the other the cable is yellow/green/black on one end and fused yellow/blue green and black, but there seems to be some splicing thats gone on.<br /><br />Please help me!!!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: wiring help please!!!!!

what are you trying to do. you described all the proer parts but what is the object?<br /> good luck and keep posting

dburr

Seaman

trying to get it started properly. without any of the wires connected it does start or even roll over. If you connect yellow to 12v then everything is on all the time. So i think green must be 12v and yellow is switched, but i keep hearing green is tach so I dont want to damage anything. The control box does not have the trim/tilt switch in it. <br /><br />Would i be right to assume the green coming out of the ignition box is for the tach?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what are you calling an ignition box? that is a term I cannot find in my service manual. for yamaha green is tach send,yellow is key on 12 volts red is fused 12 volts from the stater solinoid where the battery cable goes, black is ground dark blue is choke light blue is trim up light green is trim down

dburr

Seaman

thanks rod, I figured it out lastnight. I broke down and bought a manual. Seems for some reason the person who had it before me, disconnected the red fused wire that connects to the solinoid.... So it had no constant power source. The manaul payed for itself already because that red wire was hiden under the plastic cover on the side of the engine. I wouldnt of known it was there without the manual.

dburr

Seaman

all figured out now, it was the red wire not connected to the solinoid<br /><br />Thanks RoD

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cool<br /> see it was almost painless and now you have a valuable resource as well as reading materiel at breakfast:)<br /> good luck and keep posting