Wiring external overheat buzzer

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody have any advice on how to do this? I'm more after what size of buzzer (watts, amps, ect..) My boat doesn't have one and I'm wanting to add it. The wiring is there but no buzzer. It's not the controls that have them built in.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring external overheat buzzer

That should be pretty easy. Normally the overheat sensor grounds when the motor overheats. So connect +12VDC from the ign switch to one side of the buzzer, and the overheat lead to the other side of the buzzer. If the motor overheats, the sensor grounds, completing the circuit.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

My buzzer went in my controller...was 87 to replace it...lot of money fr a buzzer..so I wired a external one...I got a LED back up alarm..its LEDS and a buzzer....wired it into the controller..mounted on dash...

with the advice of Ezeke I put in a test button also. so I can test it ..it draws lass than a amp....was told any buzzer under 3 amps was fine...

the cheap piezo electric horn work well also...loud..inexpensive...low current draw

Al

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's on a 140hp johnson. It's on a hydra-sport boat. The factory buzzer was removed by the PO. It's a center console and the the controls only run the throttle and shifting. The harness is by itself but everything else is hooked up minus the overheat buzzer.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My buzzer went in my controller...was 87 to replace it...lot of money fr a buzzer..so I wired a external one...I got a LED back up alarm..its LEDS and a buzzer....wired it into the controller..mounted on dash...

with the advice of Ezeke I put in a test button also. so I can test it ..it draws lass than a amp....was told any buzzer under 3 amps was fine...

the cheap piezo electric horn work well also...loud..inexpensive...low current draw

Al

Any pics or diagram on how you set yours up? I like the idea of an LED also. Where did you get the horn from?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those buzzers are listed for indoor use only. I do not think they would hold up on the salt pond...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your local Radio Shack store has buzzers, LEDs or indicator lamps. Here is a diagram showing how to wire both an LED or plain old indicator lamp and a buzzer. You only need the temp switch so just ignore the oil switch. That switch was shown for oil pressure on a four stroke.

Oil-TempWarningLight.jpg

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

That should be pretty easy. Normally the overheat sensor grounds when the motor overheats. So connect +12VDC from the ign switch to one side of the buzzer, and the overheat lead to the other side of the buzzer. If the motor overheats, the sensor grounds, completing the circuit.

Alternatively, you could hook up an actual temperature gauge the same way. You would just be installing a gauge instead of a horn / LED and a temperature sensor (sending unit) instead of a thermal switch. $25 for the gauge (including sensor) vs. $70 for an OEM overheat sensor made the decision for me.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I got the horn hooked up this afternoon and it works as it's suppose to. I'm going to have to add a flashing LED in there somewhere. The horn is not loud enough for me to hear it when I'm on the water. I actually bought a surface temperature sending unit a while back for another boat and never installed it so I ordered a gauge for that today and I'm putting it on as well. This motor was run hot by the PO and I got it cheap b/c it had low compression on the 3 and 4 cylinder. I took the heads off and got lucky it was just a headgasket. Now I've got compression back and want to make sure it doesn't get hot again. I've pretty much re-worked the whole cooling system to ensure it doesn't but I like to see gauges.