wiring diagram 1968 evinrude 33hp

basszzilla

Seaman
More specifically I’m looking for info on how to wire alt. this motor was used without a battery and all of the wiring was tucked away and appears to be pretty botched up. I have wired up a start solenoid and a kill switch, but know this is not right. If anyone has a wiring diagram I would appreciate if you could e-mail to me at basszzilla@cox.net., or suggest a website to find. :D

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: wiring diagram 1968 evinrude 33hp

The magneto and the electrical system have to be separate. To kill the motor, you connect the magneto wires and each set of points cancels the other out. You apparently already know this.<br /><br />Those used Generators. They're hard to find in working order, but they're out there. As far as a diagram, I'm afraid I can't help with that. But you might check your public library. Many of them have one brand or another of aftermarket outboard repair manuals.

basszzilla

Seaman

thank you for correcting me (generator), so where would I find voltage regulator or does it have one. I have only two wires coming from under the flywheel. one goes to a switch that kills the engine when you throttle all the way down. would the other be a charge wire for the batt?

alcan

Commander

No, the second wire from under the flywheel will not charge your battery. There is no charging unit envolved there except for the magnito ignition. Think of the electrics as three separate systems, ignition, starting and charging. These motors could be orderd manual, elect start or full electric. The elect start model would not have a gen. so you would have to charge the battery from an outside source. If the battery went flat, no big deal, you just rope start and be on your way. Remember you only have 33hp (approx), the motors are for small boats. Generators,batteries,starter motors and what not weighed alot in them days and took up room.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Wow,<br />they sure must not have changed much!!<br />I have a 1966 60 HP and that wiring loooks pretty dang close!<br />Unfortunately, I am away and won't know for sure for another 11 days, 12 days (wife gets first night ;) )<br /><br /><br />BTW here is a picture of the engine showing the alternator Motor Port Side <br /><br />Here is a shot of the other side, showing the starter.<br /> Motor Starboard Side <br /><br /><br />AK Chappy

Paul Moir

Admiral

No. The other wire is part of the kill circuit too. Like WillyBWright said, those used generators. They're completely separate from the ignition system. They would be just to the right of the carburetor, a little larger than the electric starter, and connected to the flywheel by a toothed belt.<br />The generator was an option on your outboard. If you don't have one, it's no big deal - you'll be suprised how many starts you can get off of a typical marine battery.<br />A while back I put together a schematic for a Johnson/Evinrude 28hp. It's sort of a predecessor to your 33hp. You can find it here:<br />Schematic, Click here.<br />Although it's not correct for your 33hp, it is nearly identical to it. The wire colours may be different.<br /><br />Hope this helps!<br /><br />EDIT: Pardon, alcan - you beat me to it!

basszzilla

Seaman

Thanks for all your help guys, but I have one more question. What purpose does the vacume cutoff switch serve.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Without that, the motor will race at high RPMs if you were to throttle back too quickly. That brings the RPMs down if that starts happening. Basically if it detects too much vaccuum, it grounds out one set of points.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> on the vacume switch. what willy says:)<br /> DO NOT take it out of the circuit. you will find out by what is ment by "runaway" it can be triggered by something as silly as "racking " the trottle :) its designed so that at high intake vacum, IE lots of RPM and no load, it will short one set of points to ground thus reducing RPM to something just below the terror level.<br /> this I learned the hard way many moons ago :) :) .<br />without it you have to control the urge to jump and try to find that tiny,higly mobile, stop button :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

rodbolt......you certainly have a way with words....... :D :D