Wiring changes required? 1975 90hp- 1982 125hp

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
I have just fitted a 1982 model motor to my boat, 1975 forward controls still fitted but, cables lined up perfectly, now the "wiring board" on the side of motor just needs hooking up, and i don't wan't to muff it up... I'll write how it says on the side of old and new motors, and please tell me if it hooks up the same... I know some are kinda obvious... :)
so, do any wires need doing different? colours are the same order going down on both motors. cheers- steve.
From the top: 1975 ENGINE/ 1982 MOTOR CABLES
FORWARD CONTROLS LABLES ON BLOCK

start YELLOW start
generator PURPLE tachometer
tachometer WHITE magneto
choke GREEN choke
heat ORANGE heat
battery + RED battery +
ignition BLUE magneto
ground - BLACK ground -

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring changes required? 1975 90hp- 1982 125hp

If the 1982 engine is still distributor ignition then no wiring changes are necessary. If it is Prestolite non-distributor ignition then only the ignition switch needs to be changed. Wiring at the engine terminal board is the same.

If it does not have a distributor, then at the ignition switch, BLUE is attached to one "M" terminal and WHITE is attached to the other. The ignition terminal is used for running accessories that you want on only when the engine is running.

Purple is not used on the 1975 engine and again, if the 1982 has Prestolite, PURPLE is used as tachometer signal with a 20 pole tachometer.

Oh, YEAH! I forgot to tell you: Being down there, you must take the entire terminal board and flip it upside-down. LOL

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

thanks again mate... not sure about this prestolite ignition, and as it has a dizzy i'll assume its non-prestolite, and hook it up as colour for colour :) or get me pet roo to do it.... here skippy!! haha cheers

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd kill for a 125 with prestolite ignition!