Wiring 2nd battery, switch & charger...Help!

riverrat66

Cadet
I?m adding a second battery (deep cycle) to my 2005 Proline 21Sport Center Console and need some help.

The starting battery (old one) is in the starboard stern compartment. The battery I?m adding (deep cycle) is in port stern compartment. I?ve also added a 2 bank charger that I?ve mounted in the starboard stern compartment with the starting battery and the battery switch I put in with the deep cycle battery on the port side.

I wired the battery charger per instructions but I?m not sure about the battery cables. Can I run the ground from the new battery to the ground on the old battery? Then the positive cable from the starting battery cable I think connects to position #1 on the switch. The positive cable from the new battery connects to position #2 on the switch. Then there is a common position that I have no idea where that goes. I think it goes to the starter.

I might mention that both cables from the starting battery (old) go directly into the outboard motor. Is the red cable from the starting battery connected to the starter? Should I disconnect that cable from the battery and run it to the common position on the switch and then run a new cable from the old battery to position # 1 on the switch?

Does this make any sense? I?m really confused and don?t want to connect anything until I?m sure it?s correct. I might add the motor is a 2005 Mercury 150hp.

I?d be grateful for any help . Thanks

Gar
riverrat66

riverrat66

Cadet
Re: Wiring 2nd battery, switch & charger...Help!

Nevermind! I just found the post originally posted by tashasdaddy that has a great diagram and it is exactly what I need.

Thanks anyway.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wiring 2nd battery, switch & charger...Help!

Yep...was just gonna suggest you search that topic...many questions and reply's about that exact same scenario! Good luck! :)