Wires and Caps

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
So my little '75 6 hp Johnny is only sparking sporadically on the top cylinder. EG: 20 pulls, 2 sparks. Think I've checked, cleaned, and set all that I can. Anybody got any ideas before I pull the timing plate to check the plug wires? They are definitely 7mm and I want solid core right? Can I use any old plug cap that fits? All plug boots look much alike to me and I prob have a couple new automotive ones lying around.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
you can test the wire from boots to HV pin for resistance and solid continuity if you jiggle the wires while holding the probes solidly... ushould get 3-.5 to 8-9 K ohms steady

does not mean coils can't spark to ground if cracked ... why not refurbish the whoe thing and be done with it . use 7mm solid core

I use Belden solid core car wires with boots installed.. boots are a bit long so I just snip half an inch to 3/4 with a sharp knife .

condensers must be test wit ha HV DC to check for leakage... resistance and CAP testing with a VOM if iffy at best . it can tell you if it is bad but never tell you it is100% good . may aswell put in new ones

Attachments

• IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • corrosion pic from Leroy's site.jpg
    corrosion pic from Leroy's site.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Condensers are all pretty much the same, correct? Get at auto parts or small engine shop? How critical is coil positioning? I see there is a jig for setting them, but never used one before.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
just line up the coils on the frame and run your fingernail up and down.... should be no snags going up or down .

Attachments

• coil set up.PNG
    coil set up.PNG
    683.5 KB · Views: 2
  • coil edge.PNG
    coil edge.PNG
    95.3 KB · Views: 2

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
see link and go to western aomci ... open the site link and dig up the magazine articles on testing caps. !!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The magneto on these was first used in about 1950 and still installed on small 1990 models.----Used on 1.5 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5.5 / 6 / 7.5 / 10 / 18 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 33 / 40 hp motors.----A simple reliable unit.----Points MUST open at the correct time to get maximum spark.----If coils are not new then remove them and inspect bottom.----The often burn through and short to the magneto plate.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
spin the engine with a drill to get sufficient rpms... check for sparks then.

clean the points again...and again did you or not replace condensers ??

front coil goes to top plug !!