wireline trolling setup

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Hello all.<br />This winter I am going to buy a new wireline trolling setup for stripers.We usually troll for them at between 35 and 55 feet on the edge of rips and shoals using 3 or 5 ounce squid jigs.<br />I have a Penn Jigmaster 500 and a Penn 330 GTI.<br />This year I will try 40 pound single strand steel wire on the jigmaster,about 200 yards of it.I do have to buy another rod.Reading all the adds makes my head spin.<br />I do not know what the better choice is in guides.Is it aluminum oxide,carbaloid,AFTCO or carbide? I just learned that there is titanium oxide for guides now. Are round guides better or worse than roller guides?<br />Being about 6 foot tall,should I go for the 5'6" or is the 6 maybe even 7 the better choice? Is it only a Penn rod or are there others on the market which are equals in quality for the same price.<br />Could you please give me your opinion about what you perceive as the best salt water wireline rod?<br />Thank you.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: wireline trolling setup

Hi rolmops .. have no real experience in saltwater with wire lines .. but, looked into this and tried it earlier in life in fresh water. <br /><br />One thing I do remember is that Carbide or Stainless (low carbon stainless being better)rollers are a must and that the rod tip is a hinderance to the wire.. I recall it being an angle thing..??<br /><br />just my 1 cent worth of babble.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Go either Aftco roller or carbide. I'm using a pair of Sabres and a pair of Penn Senator ARS rods right now. When pulling wire longer is better. A lot of people use an 8'rod when pulling spoons with wire.

rjp101803

Cadet

Hi rolmops,<br />I have had 30 years of wireline trolling experience both fishing and setting up wire line outfits for customers in my fishing tackle shop.<br />As far as reels go, you will want to go with a Penn reel with a chrome brass spool and not aluminum as the stainless wire will react with the aluminum spool in saltwater and actually start to eat the spool(read corrode). The 112H penn or 113 H Penn with backing and 100yds of wire<br />preferably Monel marked @ regular intervals is the way to go. Carboloy guides are a must on the rod and some (myself included)used a roller tip only. We connected the wire to the backing with a small 75lb sampo swivel so it will go thru the guides easily and use 30 feet of 60-80 lb test mono as a leader to your lure, which can be wide variety of things. E mail me if you would like more details. Wireline, while arguably not the most sporty way of catching fish is the greatest fishfinding tool there is in the hands of the right people.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Thank you for your help.It seems that the Penn 3140 NTWL is to be the rod of choice.