wire

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I dropped the lower unit to change seals. As I was in there I discovered that the electrical wire for shifting(1963 electromatic Johnson 75hp) was starting to fray. I put it back together and sure enough it will now not go into gear. Dropped it again turned the key to the on position and could hear and see it spark out the side of the wire. My question is can I use any 12 or 14 ga wire and silicone it the hole where the wire goes so not to get water in or do I need the factory wire which has the rubber coating and the larger trubber ribs on it to seal the hole?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: wire

Sealing the hole is not to keep water away from the wire as water and red hot exhaust will be present with it within the exhaust housing (between the powerhead and the lower unit).<br /><br />The purpose of having that hole sealed is to eliminate any exhaust leakage which would be drawn into the carburetor intake.<br /><br />Keep in mind that any wire you use is going to be exposed to quite a bit of heat.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought it was to prevent water from going into the gears. The wire I'm speaking of goes into the very lowest unit where the gears are. What wire shall I use if not the original. I understand the heat part, any suggestions Joe?

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Im not familiar with your wire or problem, although I know they do make a high temp cable, specific for your higher temp areas, any electrical supply house will carry high temp cable.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Juice.... Unfortunately, at that lower point, you would need to use the regular called for wiring. I was thinking of the other pass through area halfway up the exhaust housing. Possibly something else may work out but I have no idea what.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for your responses, fortunatly I have found the middle of the lower unit with the wire already in it. The person I got it from said it would be easier to use the whole middle unit and not take the wire out, just use the one he had. Thanks for the help. All I have to do is transfer the water pump, take the shaft out, the bearings etc and put them on other piece.