Wire Line on Reel

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have not used wire before, any tips on how to load the reel? What Lb. Test? Brand? Color? ...<br /><br />Fishing for Lake Trout, Hybrid Stripers, Landlocked Salmon on Downrigger between 25 & 50 ft.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wire Line on Reel

Try this,<br /> http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fishing_articles/wired_for_success.htm <br /><br />I don't think the wire was intended fo downrigger use but you can give it a try. Personally I would use a snap weight to get down deeper rather than the rigger. There is something used called the SWR (secret weapon rig) 2 colors of led core on your downrigger setup. The lets the 20 yards of led plus the 15' of mono run farther back and below your ball about another 10' It works great when stacking lines.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If you use a wire line You will have to start with buying a rod that has carbide or carboloid guides because the wire will cut right through the regular ones.You will also have to use a bronze spool in order to neutralize the electrolysis oxidation.That said,you will want to use monell line(nickle steel alloy)because it is the softest and densest(heavy)line for stripers. You want 300 feet of 40 pound wire with 80 pound line for backing in order to be able to fill your spool.For lake trout you have to think about going under the thermocline which often means 90 foot down.There you need 25 pound copper line (600feet)+backing.For landlocked salmon you can use the laker setup and even that is a bit heavy.<br />Good luck.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok i just got to ask,if you are fishing with a downrigger,why bother with wire line?Seems like its defeating the purpose to me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use wire when bottom bouncing around rock piles and over oyster beds but super braid (Power Pro)has replaced wire in most applications for me.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok jt57 I'm not sure, NEW to trolling. Perhaps wire is not the way to go?

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trolling with wire is a good way to go, it's just got it's place just like ledcore or copper.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just so we all grasp the fact that WIRE IS WIRE. It permantly kinks, It will NOT break if tied to a big strong lure. It scratches almost anything if a big fish drags the line over it. Human flesh included. It a last ditch effort by great fish guides to get you a fish when other easier setups poop out. It IS $$$.