Wire Diagram for Battery Selector

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys,

Currently I have my trolling motor running off the battery in the front compartment, and when thats dead I swapped it out from the one in the back compartment. I want to wire both batterries together with a battery selector so I can hit a switch and make life a little easier, I am looking for some info on how to do this and by the way its a 12V trolling motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wire Diagram for Battery Selector

Here ya go. The troller gets connected to the same terminals as the outboard shown in this diagram. Since you are NOT using either of these batteries for starting purposes, the wiring need only be big enough to handle the current draw of the motor which will be in the neighborhood of 45 amps for a 55# thrust motor. Ignore the two trolling motor connections.

Switchwithdualcharger.jpg

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here ya go. The troller gets connected to the same terminals as the outboard shown in this diagram. Since you are NOT using either of these batteries for starting purposes, the wiring need only be big enough to handle the current draw of the motor which will be in the neighborhood of 45 amps for a 55# thrust motor. Ignore the two trolling motor connections.

Switchwithdualcharger.jpg

Silvertip my motor does not have a charging system and I do not have a bank charger, Can I still hook it up according to the diagram you gave me. I will charge the batteries seperate, Thanks for your help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can ignore the charger and the trolling motor outputs. As I said, connect your troller where the Mercury engine is connected. A much simpler system would be to connect both batteries in parallel (pos to pos, and neg to neg) but with a simple heavy duty ON-OFF switch inserted between the two POSITIVE terminals. Set the switch to ON which parallels the two batteries so for all practical purposes the troller is connected to one giant battery. When you can then set the switch to OFF to prevent the weaker of the two batteries from draining the stronger one.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The work was easy and the diagram helped alot,I just wanted to report back to my fellow boaters. I picked up a bad switch which I had to return but now am happy with it and it was a good learning experience, Thanks for all you do Silvertip.