Wiper arm grommet/seal

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat: 2004 Chaparral Signature 260
I have a water leak in the bathroom. It comes from the access panel under the wiper motor.

I don't find any grommet/seal specific for my boat, only some universal grommets on Amazon, or local boat shop.

Is there still a OE part available these days for that boat, or I just fill around the shaft with Sikaflex?
Thanks.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I think life seal is preferable to sika for your situation. If the motor/shaft assy is properly mounted there's no need for anything heavy like sika, not much if any force exerted where the shaft passes through the deck

Can't really see any difference good or bad with a rubber washer along with the sealer. Just be sure it's a decent fit i.d. if you choose to use one

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think life seal is preferable to sika for your situation. If the motor/shaft assy is properly mounted there's no need for anything heavy like sika, not much if any force exerted where the shaft passes through the deck

Can't really see any difference good or bad with a rubber washer along with the sealer. Just be sure it's a decent fit i.d. if you choose to use one
I went the easy route finally. I removed the nut, cover and grommet, put some silicone and reassembled. Flat rubber washer seemed fine though. Maybe not tightened enough? Should be fine now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the manufacturer of the wiper is who supplied the EPDM rubber seal initially.

I would get a rubber washer myself or some butyl putty.