Winterizing

rh92

Seaman Apprentice
This is the first winter with my boat and just wanting to make sure I handle everything properly. I am very mechanically illiterate. LET ME STRESS THAT AGAIN. Most maintenance on anything I do I have done by somebody else, until now. I figured if I am going to be a boat owner I need to learn. I figure the only way I'm going to do that is by getting my hands dirty and making mistakes. So please bare with me, I apologize for being a hassle.

I looked around a fare bit youtube, various forums, iboat etc. I added stabilizer to my gas tank and ran my boat for about 20 minutes. Then I added about 3 gallons of RV anti-freeze through the muffs. Now I am reading I should either drain the block or add anti-freeze. I have elected to add anti-freeze since thats what the previous winter I had done. I don't even know what a block is or what it looks like. How do I go about doing this? Is this even correct or am I just confused?

1996 212 Rinker Captivia
4.3 Mecruiser
Alpha 1 GEN. 2

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Winterizing

Hello rh92... Find a friend who knows about car engines and have him explain the basics. As for adding antifreeze. It should be done (if you feel the need) only after you open all the drains on the block and drain the block completely out. THEN add the antifreeze... There is significant risk if you don't drain the block first. Learning by mistakes is ok, but cracking a block is not a good way to start....

Chris.......
BTW, you're not being a hassle. We are here to help... ;)

rh92

Seaman Apprentice

Hello rh92... Find a friend who knows about car engines and have him explain the basics. As for adding antifreeze. It should be done (if you feel the need) only after you open all the drains on the block and drain the block completely out. THEN add the antifreeze... There is significant risk if you don't drain the block first. Learning by mistakes is ok, but cracking a block is not a good way to start....

Chris.......
BTW, you're not being a hassle. We are here to help... ;)

So running the anti freeze through the muffs was mad? I should have drained the block first? I thought the block was a totally different thing.

achris

Ok... Some very basics...

Your power package consists of 3 major assemblies. The engine (looks just like a V6 car engine, because (in most part) it is... On this engine you will find a serial number. That identifies the engine and is unique to yours. It would be a good idea to find that serial number and record it. Then whenever you need parts, or help here, you can quote that number... You'll find the serial number in 2 places, but one may not be there, depending on how lazy the installer was that day :facepalm: The first place to look is the very top of the engine. There is a cover and on that cover is a number The format of the number is 0, and letter of the alphabet, then 6 numbers. If you can't find it on the cover, then on the starboard side of the engine, near the back will be a small (about 1"x2") metal plate, with 'Mercury Marine' on it, and the number....

The next major assembly to consider is the drive. That's on the outside of the boat, with the propeller on it, and it looks like the lower half of an outboard engine, because it is... That will also have a serial number, with the same format as the engine serial number. It should be on the decal on the top half on the port side. Again, any time you are working with the drive, that number is key.

The 3rd assembly is what holds these previous 2 together, the gimbal housing and the inner transom plate. It also has it's own serial number, right at the top, on the outside.

There is some wonderful information about terminology in the stickies, at the top of the forums...

Here's a link to them...

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...have-technical-information-diyers-342393.html

If you scroll down on that, you find all sorts of information... Have fun with that...

Now, let's start with the engine. The part of the system that lives inside the boat...Just a car engine with a few marine bits thrown on.

The engine consists of the main casting, the block, that the crankshaft, pistons and camshaft (and a few other things, but we can leave them for the moment) reside in. The block, or crankcase, is cast iron. On top of each side of the block are the cylinder heads. The 'heads' holds the valves. These valves allow the fuel charge to be sucked into the combustions chamber, ready to make power, and be blown out as exhaust once the fuel has done its job. In the centre of the engine is a casting, the intake manifold. This manifold connects the carburettor (mixes air and fuel together in the right ratio, about 14:1, and controls the engine revs) to the valves in the head so the fuel is delivered to the cylinder.. The exhaust manifold collects the exhaust gas and channels them out throw the exhaust elbow (the large bulge at the centre of the manifolds) to be expelled outside the boat...

The crankshaft is the large thing that sits in the bottom of the block and spins around. It has rod coming off it, that connect to the pistons that go up and down in the cylinders. The fuel being burnt above the pistons is what drives then down with force, and that is how the engine creates power.. Have a look at 'Bondo's' avatar. It's a 4 cycle engine in motion. It shows a single cylinder running in an engine. You can see the valves at the top of the engine working, and the crankshaft in the bottom turning... It's a very good GIF...

I have left my signature on this post (I normally turn it off so pages load faster and use less space) so you can see how some of us put our engine and drive serial numbers in our signature files. That way, the numbers are always there when we start a new thread... You've come close with the little 'signature you have... The addition of the serial numbers would make if perfect :thumb:

Chris......
(Happy to answer any other questions)... :)

Last edited:

rh92

Seaman Apprentice

So what would you recommend for me to do at this point to get this boat ready for winter?

achris

So what would you recommend for me to do at this point to get this boat ready for winter?

That's a hard ask, but without the knowledge of how the engine works, and what parts are which, I'd take it somewhere. I know that's going to cost money, but it will be cheaper than a cracked block. Then, during winter, get yourself on a basic car maintenance course and start learning the basics, and during the next summer, spend some 'quality time' with your engine :love-struck: :D

Chris.........

tpenfield

Staff member

rh - good for you for wanting to learn about your engine and some basic maintenance.

I hope that I can give a layman's explanation to the anti-freeze question. . .

the entire engine holds about 5 gallons of water. You added 3 gallons of RV antifreeze . . . So, the engine got rid of 3 gallons of water replaced by the antifreeze. So, your 3 gallons of anti-freeze plus 2 gallons of water remains in the various parts of your engine. So, it is diluted by almost 1/2 of its intended strength. But not evenly diluted throughout the engine. . . the things that are last in the flow have the most water. Those are the exhaust manifolds. So, they still have a very high concentration of water, based on 3 gallons of anti-freeze added to the engine.

So, you would need to add at least as much antifreeze as there is water to purge the water, but more likely a lot more antifreeze than water to fully purge the water. So 10 gallons maybe :noidea:

Much easier just to run some anti-freeze into the intake paths as you did, and then drain the engine block and exhaust manifolds as those parts will still have lots of water in them that is diluting the antifreeze.

It is like pouring water into a glass of milk . . .as you pour water into it and it over flows, how much water would it take until the color of the liquid is absolutely clear? Probably quite a bit as compare to how much milk was there to start.

Last edited:

achris

So, he's got to put milk in his engine???? Or does he put the anti-freeze in the milk... I'm confused :confused: Sorry Ted, I think you lost the plot somewhere along the line mate...:lol: :rofl:

Couldn't resist.. :facepalm:

Chris........

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

rh92...here's a breakdown of the basics of what the major parts of what a motor (sterndrive, automotive based) looks like!

Engine Diagram.jpg

achris and tpenfield are giving you great advice!

Having just replaced my engine block due to a freeze-up is brain surgery compared to winterizing, so getting it properly is paramount!

Good Luck!

~Brett

tpenfield

Staff member

So, he's got to put milk in his engine???? Or does he put the anti-freeze in the milk... I'm confused :confused: Sorry Ted, I think you lost the plot somewhere along the line mate...:lol: :rofl:

Couldn't resist.. :facepalm:

Chris........

You don't like my "milk" analogy. Maybe beer would be better :D

achris

Thanks Baja... That reminded me of something I saw many years ago. It was a Windows 98 (I think) screensaver... It is now viewable on u-tub....

Check this out. For anybody wanting to know how an engine is assembled and how it works.. This is really good. The engine is seen 'running' from 3.15...... rh92. just bear in mind (while watching this) that your engine is an overhead valve V6, with 2 valves per cylinder, and this animation is of a double overhead cam, in-line 4 engine with 4 valves per cylinder... BUT... All the principles remain the same... The first part on the screen is the block... The next is the crankshaft.... Pay particular attention to the sequence of the 4 cycle engine (from 3m15s in the video)... You'll see 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow'... That is the operating sequence of ALL 4 strokes.... (the blue stuff is fresh fuel/air, the orange stuff is exhaust gases)....

Enjoy....

Deutz Engine Animation.

Chris.......

Last edited:

achris

You don't like my "milk" analogy. Maybe beer would be better :D

Actually, I love it... I'm just pullin' ya chain.... ;)
Oh, and beer is ALWAYS better... :D :D :D

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My Mercruiser Owner's manual tells you how to winterize, step by step, and even includes pictures. What could possibly be easier?

If you didn't get one with your used boat, go on Mercs site and buy one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The only effective way to get antifreeze into the block and manifolds is to drain them and refill them thru the water hoses, with full strength antifreeze.

Your motor will have 4 drain plugs. One on each manifold and two on the block. You must stick a screwdriver into the drain hole to route out any rust clogs. After the water drains, introduce some anitfreeze and watch for it to drain. Then install the plug and fill the block or manifold. Dump AF into raw water hose and watch water intakes for it to emerge. Fill manifolds until you see AF out the prop.

Fill block last. Before that, warm motor and change oil. Fog her out, change gear oil. clean spark arrestor. Grease fittings and steering rod. Charge and disconnect battery.