Winterizing

Stud man

Cadet
I know this has been discussed till everyone is sick of hearing it but it seems like there are so many opinions and no straight answers.
I am new to boating and this is my first boat which is a 1993 7.4 -454 Mercruiser Bravo 2 . I do have a manual and can't seem to find any drains( I think) on the block which is covered in rust from below the manifols to the bottom of the motor!
There are no petcocks on the manifolds just a fitting with a hose. The manual says there are two block drains at the base of the block and from what I can see there is a small , maybe 3/8" plug on each side but they are completely covered in rust and I think it would be a very bad idea to touch them. I have seen on here, other boards and the guy from west marine say that all I have to do is fill a bucket with 5 gal of the pink stuff, put it on the transom and use the muffs to winterize. I have also seen people say NEVER use mufffs and just drain the block. Anyone know how I should drain this block WITHOUT touching those 2 rusty plugs? I did take off the 2 hoses from the bottom of the manifolds and got dirty water with alot of rust chips which surprized me because I had already flush the motor with fresh water on the muffs to warm it up to change the oil. thoughts? Can I get away with putting antifreeze in hoses and the thermostat? or do the bucket thing? or both? I am very worryied about this motor frezzing on me during our cold winters. any help would be greatly appreciated and yes I have read just about every post on winterizing which is very confusing.

thanks all

S

PS oil is done, oil filter done, fuel filter done, and outdrive oil done.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Winterizing

The manual says there are two block drains at the base of the block and from what I can see there is a small , maybe 3/8" plug on each side but they are completely covered in rust and I think it would be a very bad idea to touch them.

Ayuh,.... Those are the Drains....

I'd fix 'em Now, as it's a crap-shoot to Not fix 'em Now...

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes. Do it now cause you are gonna roll the dice if not like bond-o says.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Spray 'em down with PB Blaster, Twice, ensure you use a well fitting wrench/socket, then...get them out. IF you can't get a torch near them...a good soldering iron held against it for a minute can heat that plug up pretty well too.

And listening to "the guy from West Marine" when it comes to ANY critical process/repair is probably a baaaaaad idea!

Tantamount to taking advice from the pimply kid behind the counter at your local AutoZone...they're probably NOT mechanics.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

More like Russian roulette with an automatic.... :eek: