Winterizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheaptoon

Cadet
I know this questions is asked over and over, I have looked at the other post and still do not have anything definate, I got a 1984 merc 50 hp 2 stroke. What is the best option here, put stabil in the lines and go that route? or is it best just to run it out of fuel after you fog it? last year I had a different engine, and went the stabil route, and had to re do the carbs this year. So any suggestions welcome. Or is seafoam a better option for storing? Thanks for all replies.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winterizing

I use seafoam, couple oz per gallon of gas in the tank, run it for a bit to ensure new gas in the lines then fog till it dies. If you try to fog the motor then run the gas out of the carbs then you will burn the fog out of the cylinders.

Cheaptoon

Cadet

I use seafoam, couple oz per gallon of gas in the tank, run it for a bit to ensure new gas in the lines then fog till it dies. If you try to fog the motor then run the gas out of the carbs then you will burn the fog out of the cylinders.

Makes sense, I was contradicting my self there huh....So you you do like seafoam for a stabilizer huh

Traceyh

Seaman

If you like putting cigarette lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol, and pale oil in your fuel system, seafoam is the way to go. Those are is contents.

Cheaptoon

Cadet

If you like putting cigarette lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol, and pale oil in your fuel system, seafoam is the way to go. Those are is contents.

Well it is a hell of a cleaner, just not sure of its stabilization capabilities

Traceyh

Seaman

Well it is a hell of a cleaner, just not sure of its stabilization capabilities

What are you cleaning with it, It wont do anything for a genuinely dirty carb, I have spent many years working in a dealership, and have yet to ever see it clean a carb. Many people try, and many people bring their machines in for a carb clean. Now it will work pretty good for cleaning your hands, but in the super small quantities in which it mixed with fuel, it has very very minimal strength to do anything. You could do as well by buying a can of lighter fluid, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and dump that in your tank, thats all seafoam is.
Its not a magic bullet or cure all.
Its more commonly refereed to as "snake oil".

Cheaptoon

Cadet

What are you cleaning with it, It wont do anything for a genuinely dirty carb, I have spent many years working in a dealership, and have yet to ever see it clean a carb. Many people try, and many people bring their machines in for a carb clean. Now it will work pretty good for cleaning your hands, but in the super small quantities in which it mixed with fuel, it has very very minimal strength to do anything. You could do as well by buying a can of lighter fluid, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and dump that in your tank, thats all seafoam is.
Its not a magic bullet or cure all.
Its more commonly refereed to as "snake oil".

Well nothing is a cure all but actually working on it, And I am well aware of what seafoam is made of, Sea foam will however clean a mildly dirty carb to keep it from getting to the point of having to take it to the $85 dollar an hour mechanic.And with the alchohol in it I have answered my own question that it will stabilize fuel because alchhol is a moisture dispursent.
Why" snake oil" Never heard that one

Cheaptoon

Cadet

"snake oil" just googled that one............Maybe snake oil to a mechanic

Traceyh

Seaman

alcohol does nothing to stabilize fuel. to stabilize fuel, you must add an additive the will prevent the volatiles from evaporating out of the gasoline.
When the volatiles evaporate, you are left with the "varnish" like crud that fouls a carb. Also a good stabilizer add an anti-oxidant to prevent the oxidation of the fuel from the air (thats why fuel injection models are less susceptible to over winter fouling as the fuel system from the fuel pump to the injectors is air tight, thereby no air or oxygen to foul the fuel.)

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a big difference between rubbing alcohol (isopropal) and ethyl alcohol which sea foam uses, if you don't believe me go pour a bottle of it in your lawn mower and see how long it runs. Everclear will just give it a high idle. The "lighter fluid" is Butane and it works as a low temperature lubricant that burns off clean and I am not too sure what the pale oil is for. What seafoam is meant to do is to stabilize the fuel by lowering the vapor pressure of the mix. That is what the heavy hydrocarbons are for (kerosene, butane, and I am assuming the pan oil). I never said to use it as a cleaner, just a stabilizer.

Traceyh

Seaman

There is a big difference between rubbing alcohol (isopropal) and ethyl alcohol which sea foam uses, if you don't believe me go pour a bottle of it in your lawn mower and see how long it runs. Everclear will just give it a high idle. The "lighter fluid" is Butane and it works as a low temperature lubricant that burns off clean and I am not too sure what the pale oil is for. What seafoam is meant to do is to stabilize the fuel by lowering the vapor pressure of the mix. That is what the heavy hydrocarbons are for (kerosene, butane, and I am assuming the pan oil). I never said to use it as a cleaner, just a stabilizer.

You are wrong, it uses IPA, go look at the MSDS. Isopropyl my friend.

Light fluid is Naptha, Im talking about the Zippo type lighters.

And it's "Pale oil", which is an oil that is refined till it is pale in color, commonly used by artists to paint with.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are wrong, it uses IPA, go look at the MSDS. Isopropyl my friend.

Light fluid is Naptha, Im talking about the Zippo type lighters.

And it's "Pale oil", which is an oil that is refined till it is pale in color, commonly used by artists to paint with.

Iso and Naptha are both industrial strength cleaners/solvents. Iso also solubilizes moisture in fuel.

Pale oil i believe is used as a light lubricant

It's not 'snake oil'.

Cheaptoon

Cadet

So most of us can agree that seafoam is good stuff( no matter the ingredients) works well in my boat anyway. Havent tried it in anything else.

Traceyh

Seaman

Iso and Naptha are both industrial strength cleaners/solvents. Iso also solubilizes moisture in fuel.

Pale oil i believe is used as a light lubricant

It's not 'snake oil'.

Agreed, however, in the super small quantities when used properly, will not do anything for a dirty carb, never has, never will.

Snake oil= product claiming to be something it is not capable of doing.
Seafoam= snake oil...lol

It is neither good for a fuel stabilizer, nor a carb cleaner.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agreed, however, in the super small quantities when used properly, will not do anything for a dirty carb, never has, never will.

Snake oil= product claiming to be something it is not capable of doing.
Seafoam= snake oil...lol

It is neither good for a fuel stabilizer, nor a carb cleaner.

Have you read a can of sea-foam?

There is more ways to use this product than just putting it in your gas.

Sea Foam Website said:
SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

SEA FOAM liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine contaminents, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.

As an oil system additive, Sea Foam controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.

Where does it claim to be a 'Carb Cleaner'?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Misinformation vs. know it all about nothing.

Everyone loses. End of squabble.

Status
Not open for further replies.