winterizing

Chesterfield

Cadet
I have a 1985 Procraft 1650 V, and it has a 1985 Force 125 HP on it. I live in Michigan, and it is about to get realy cold. How Do i winterize this boat so that no harm comes to the hull or the motor. I need a detailed list of what i should do. <br /><br /> Thank you for any suggestions

goxner

Recruit
Re: winterizing

Force 85hp (circa 87): Goobered lower unit drain plug (allen wrench wiped the hex corners). Drilled through it, thinking Easy Out would remove it. Still stuck . . . but oil did drain out. Question: Can anyone inform me what the thread size is for that hole? I'm thinking of re-drilling the hole, and chasing the threads with a tap. I could speed this up if I knew what size thread tap to buy. Anyone recommend moving up the size and tapping a larger hole for a next-size drain plug?<br /><br />All opinions welcomed. Thanks.<br /><br />Gary

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: winterizing

Basically winterizing an outboard just fog and shut it down, leaving it vertical so the water drains. Change the lower unit oil first. Stabil fresh gas and run the motor long enough so it makes it to the carbs (should be done at last lake trip).<br /><br />On the plug, drill out 13/64ths, get a taper size (three different shapes/size-Plug-Cut-Taper) 1/4-20 tap, and start the taper tap in so you get a couple threads. Start a (Stainless if you can get one) Allen 1/4 Set screw in, and keep tapping a few more threads until it starts to just bottom on the non cut threads and flush. Little grease on the threads, and snug it up. Clean it up and paint it over. Done<br />PS. I had a previous post of using a 1/8 pipe plug and "R" drill, which will work also. I did mine with the 1/4-20, but it was in the water, and couldn't remember what I used. Its out now, and the 1/4 inch is what I did, and working fine probably 6 years.